Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

is flexible fill vent hose available for 275 residential oil tank?

ron
ron Member Posts: 306
The typical 275gal vertical steel tank, installed in homes in the basement, have hard black iron 2" pipe and elbows making the run to outside the house for the oil delivery guy to fill in to.

for the piping inside the house to the tank, is there a flexible piping option?

What comes to mind is boat fuel hosing... regarding home oil tank fill I realize the fill is under pressure and significant more flow than a boat/truck fuel fill. But for a home oil tank its venting a flexible option at first thought seems like there's no [good] reason one couldn't be used. Just curious, has there every been a flexible connection done on home heating oil tanks?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 13,135
    No, not that I am aware of
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 5,974
    Nope. Boats/equipment should be filled with an auto shut off nozzle to avoid spilling. Unfortunately with boats, they put the undersized vent below the fill, so it spills almost every time.
    steve
  • jpulls11
    jpulls11 Member Posts: 10
    My code book says steel or brass for the fill and vent pipe.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 13,885
    jpulls11 said:
    No sch 40 stainless steel allowed?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • EdTheHeaterMan
    EdTheHeaterMan Member Posts: 4,967
    edited August 2022
    ChrisJ said:

jpulls11 said:

No sch 40 stainless steel allowed?
    I'm not sure if Stainless Steel qualifies as Steel. Sounds like Stainless STEEL might be STEEL. We need to ask Mr Wizard. Or perhaps Mr. Peabody. I kind of think Bill Nye could answer this one.

This is way above my pay grade.

Edward Young Retired HVAC Contractor & HYDRONICIAN Services first oil burner at age 16 P/T trainer for EH-CC.org
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 7,180
    There is probably an astm spec in there that you can look for on the stainless.