Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

is this dwv plumbing acceptable (pics) ?

ron
ron Member Posts: 254
is this acceptable?
If not let me know what's wrong and/or what could be or should be improved.
It goes out through foundation to septic.
Original piping was a copper dwv, galvanized copper?
Let me know if you can tell, house was built in the 1960's I think, or maybe early 1970's.

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 19,968
    Seen a lot worse... other than being not really happy about the venting of what I assume is a wahsing machine outlet standpipe (it's wet vented, and I'm not sure just where and how) I'd be OK with it.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ron
    yeah 3rd pic down shows where the washing machine drain empties to.
    Is there any better [looking] way that could be done for dealing with the washing machine drain?
  • MikeL_2
    MikeL_2 Member Posts: 386
    edited April 7
        Acceptable and somewhat typical with an A plus for the tub / shower trap & its correctly plumbed vent; I discover dry horizontal venting at tub drains frequently during bathroom remodels and the vent is usually  plugged.
          We always prefer verticle to horizontal waste connections via a wye, but there are millions of ty's on their back & sides accepting waste; this helps Plumbers stay busy.
           Never used any side outlet ( inlet ) 90's, so not a fan of those. 
           The trap & standpipe could use an aav even though as Jamie Hall points out - that trap will almost always see atmospheric pressure.

• pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 3,341
    i prefer the washing machine in that situation be run to a pump. 
    The drain hose should be just above max fill in case of solenoid failure. 
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 162
    Looks like they had a bunch of short pieces of pipe and glued together with couplings Washer stand pipe could be taller but if it works, let er rip.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 6,986
    The closet 90 with the side inlet (second pic) should only be used to accept a wet vent below a toilet. But if there’re no issues, I’d leave it alone.
    There're a lot of things that have been done to plumbing in old houses that don’t meet code, but seem to function okay. 
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
    Larry WeingartenMikeL_2Zman
  • rick in Alaska
    rick in Alaska Member Posts: 1,389
    In my area, UPC codes, that would not pass at all. I assume the larger copper pipe going in to the main is the toilet, in which case it is not vented properly. Also the washing machine is not vented properly. That side outlet 90 is illegal in the UPC code.
    But, that being said, I bet it all performs just fine.
    Rick
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,580
    Will it work yep, Did a pro do it Nope

Laundry isn’t vented, toilets aren’t vented, side drain 90- never meant to be a “drain”. No hangers.
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 17,569
    Of all the code violations  that wash machine is probably the worse. Not vented and way too high
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • bucksnort
    bucksnort Member Posts: 162
    hot_rod said:

Of all the code violations  that wash machine is probably the worse. Not vented and way too high

At least the top of the pipe is above the water level in the washing machine. Always look for the positive.
  • ron
    edited April 11
    hot_rod said:

with the pipe at about 4 feet above the floor going through the foundation out to the septic, how can a washing maching p trap drain be located at 6 - 18 " above the floor?

I don't remember how that was installed there 30+ years ago when it was done at house build time,
    and from what I was told "a pro" i.e. licensed plumber did that piping when the new tub was installed just above it, apparently the definition of pro is subjective. While I don't remember how it was plumbed when I was a kid before it was changed I do remember there being a washing machine in that exact location.

Do I need to remove the washing machine and start going to the laundromat?

How can/should the washing machine drain be plumbed given the layout in the pic? Someone said they prefer washing machine be run to a pump... is there a way to do it without putting in a pump up?
  • pecmsg
    pecmsg Member Posts: 3,341
    edited April 11