Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham series 2 beeping noise and status 8 errors?

Options
yesimon
yesimon Member Posts: 45
edited December 2021 in Gas Heating
The boiler intermittently beeps and displays status 8 while running. According to documentation status 8 corresponds to "Boiler Running but Circulator is not Running". However, the 007e displays an orange LED = on and there's circulation.

Is it possible that this alert is a false alarm? My hypothesis is that the 007e is very efficient and drawing so little power that the controller thinks it must not be running correctly :p. Since the only communication the board has with the circulator is sensing the power draw.

Is it possible to adjust the sensitivity or disable this alert?

Comments

• Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    Hi
    007e could be running but not moving water. 
    Is pipe hot on both sides of the pump?
    We’re proud to say our pumps don’t suck. Lol
    It displaces water with full pump volute so pump has to be primed or flooded suction.
    let me know how it plays out.
    also, you can call Taco Tech support at 401-942-8000 for more help. 
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 556
    Options
    I would check with Burnham on this. I could be wrong, but I don't think the controller on the boiler would be reading the amp draw of the circ. It probably knows it sends power to the relay and closed that relay.

Status 8 says the heating circ is off and there is a DHW call. I would double check the wiring from the thermostat and the aquastat as well as the different circs are landed on the correct terminals

Dave H.
    Dave H
    SteveSan
  • HVACNUT
    HVACNUT Member Posts: 5,841
    Options
    They must've changed the Series 2. I thought it was just a simple aquastat on them.
    If it's a new Series 2 or a different model and has a digital control, its probably not the draw on the circulator being measured, but the supply and return temperature. 
    Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram?
    The actual model number too.
  • SteveSan
    SteveSan Member Posts: 235
    Options
    @yesimon this is what I received from US Boiler ( Burnham ). I would reach out to them:

The IHC control on the series 2 boiler will sometimes develop a beeping noise that has nothing to do with its operation (it can be replaced if it is annoying, but it doesn’t effect the boilers operation). Also the Status 8 is not a fault code indicates that the burner is lit and running, the control doesn’t know if the system pump is running or not. If the pump wasn’t running the boiler would just cycle the burner off and on as the boiler hit setpoint and cooled off. Feel free to reach out to our tech line at 717-397-4701 and select option 2 and option 2, or a return email.

yesimon
  • yesimon
    yesimon Member Posts: 45
    edited December 2021
    Options
    The IHC control on the series 2 boiler will sometimes develop a beeping noise that has nothing to do with its operation (it can be replaced if it is annoying, but it doesn’t effect the boilers operation). Also the Status 8 is not a fault code indicates that the burner is lit and running, the control doesn’t know if the system pump is running or not.

This appears to be what's happening. Looking at the manual gives two definitions for status 8:
    1. Burner runs until call for heat is satisfied or operating setpoint is reached.
    2. Domestic Hot Water (DHW) Priority Forcing Circulator Off
    After examining the control, the DHW terminals are not even connected, so it probably just indicates standard operation. Sorry to say the beeping alarmed me incorrectly.