Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Riteway wood/coal burning stove

MikeAmann
MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
edited November 2021 in Buy, Sell, Barter
We haven't burned in years - and have no intention of burning again.
It's very similar to this except it has the water jacket on top (no leaks): https://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/riteway/
Tap it into your hydronic heating loop, light a wood fire before you go to bed and it will last all night and your boiler or furnace will not run at all. And your basement will be warm enough for you to be in your underwear.
It's time to pass this on to someone else. Not junk, not even close - I could light a fire in it right now (if the pipe wasn't clogged).
FREE if you are actually going to use it and not turn it in for scrap metal. I can do that myself. Mike, Meriden, CT.

Comments

• psb75
    psb75 Member Posts: 828
    That looks like a really interesting appliance. It was a bold and innovative attempt at what is now a standard for indoor, wood-burning boilers-- which are all mechanically down drafted. The Riteway was non-electric! The first UL listed downdrafter.
    Upon reading, the fuel and burning management of the Riteway seems very cumbersome and time consuming. That, and the economic climate is probably the cause of its demise.
    Of course what is not mentioned (and could possibly be a game-changer) is operating the unit with an HEAT STORAGE tank--which ALL solid fuel heaters should be operated with for the sake of convenience and efficiency.
    Thanks for posting that historic info. Good luck with the Riteway. Don't scrap it!
  • MikeAmann
    MikeAmann Member Posts: 996
    GONE. I hope the new owner can make good use of it.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Generous offer
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream