Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

1985 called it wants it's water heater back

Youngplumber
Youngplumber Member Posts: 518
Look at this beautiful old girl. She's getting all gussied up to heat my water. We started off on the wrong foot when I snapped the cold side nipple off, but I dug it out and gave her a new dip tube and anode. We're almost ready to see how I did. 

Although I'm beginning to think this house may have pretty high pressure. I have at least 5 leaks with aqua pex expansion piping. 

Serious question. The house is set at 55 degrees because I'm not living there. It's definitely colder than that in some places. Does the type A pex (expansion) need to be warmed up? I don't notice anything out of spec with the leaking joints. I'm going to check the pressure tomorrow but that shouldn't cause so many leaks. Only one leak is on the junk hdpe fittings I cheaply decided to use the other leaks are brass to pipe connections even with different brands of fittings. 

Derheatmeister

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 3,667
    Looks in great shape for 1985!
    Youngplumber
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,019
    The gas line is soso but nice unit nevertheless 
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    [email protected]
    Youngplumber
  • Youngplumber
    edited February 19
    @GW I would not intall a gas line like this. The list of things to do is so long, redoing the gas line is at the back of the line. Spring probably.

That gas line actually zig zags all over the basement and dead ends in a few spots for no reason other than the world's biggest hacks must have been working on this house for the last 20 years. 
    Derheatmeister
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 3,667
    Temperature makes a difference. I usually put the rings in my pocket then use them one at a time. if its really cold i may hit them w a heat source to get them to shrink. Are you rotating they expansion tool when you expand?
  • Youngplumber
    @kcopp I try to. Mine is manual so it's not always the easiest. You think that could be the problem? 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 2,686
    edited February 19
    you need to expand propex less times when it is cold and it may take a lot longer to shrink enough to seal. you can warm it with a heat gun or torch to make them seal faster

and if you don't have an auto rotator you have to rotate the jaws or the whole tool between each expansion or it makes a groove in the tubing
    Youngplumberkcopp
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 8,581
    LOL, I would be soldering everything!!

As far as the gas line it just needs a gas cock and maybe a drip leg although they are outlawed in some locations
  • PC7060
    PC7060 Member Posts: 274

LOL, I would be soldering everything!!

As far as the gas line it just needs a gas cock and maybe a drip leg although they are outlawed in some locations

Really, it that a local code exception?
  • Youngplumber
    @EBEBRATT-Ed  The only reason I'm not soldering everything is I thought it would go faster. All of my solder joints are holding and they look great. Now I kind of wish I would have just soldered. 
  • mattmia2
    mattmia2 Member Posts: 2,686
    Uponor has really good instructions on how to install propex fittings here:

https://www.gwkent.com/media/pdf/product/4245/AQUAPEX_Install.pdf

Although they hedge on what happens if it is cold and how long you have to wait for them to shrink to seal.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 8,581
    @PC7060

Around here (North East) drip legs not allowed outside because they could freeze if there is any moisture in the gas.

I believe NYC has outlawed then. People in apartments with connecting basements were stealing gas by connecting to drip legs with garden hoses.
    PC7060
  • Youngplumber
    @mattmia2 @kcopp thank you both. Either the heat gun or time healed the leaks. Old Bessie is heating up now. Gravity recirc will be her job for the next... years hopefully. 
    mattmia2
  • PC7060
    edited February 21
    Youngplumber said:
     Old Bessie is heating up now. Gravity recirc will be her job for the next... years hopefully. 
    so you are not using as a domestic hot water heater but as gravity fed source for  radiant panels or similar?
  • Youngplumber
    @PC7060 no sir. I'm using it to heat my domestic water. I just piped it to get instant hot water and circulate by gravity. I'm thinking about at least one wall panel getting heated since I have it opened up, but we'll see. The future enclosed back porch will have a heated floor, but I have to get done, and moved in, and get a job before I start doing more than the minimum, lol. 
    PC7060
  • PC7060
    @Youngplumber - thanks for information. I’ve got a Grundfos hot/cold crossover with gravity circulation too, works pretty well. What cross over valve are you using?
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 2,624

@PC7060

Around here (North East) drip legs not allowed outside because they could freeze if there is any moisture in the gas.

I believe NYC has outlawed then. People in apartments with connecting basements were stealing gas by connecting to drip legs with garden hoses.

No more drip legs unless specified by manufacturer to be there and then it can only be after the appliance valve.

Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, Master Plumber
    in New York
    in New Jersey
    for Consulting Work
    or take his class.
    PC7060
  • Youngplumber
    @PC7060 no crossover valve or pump. The hot water floats to the top of my system which I set up to be the last fixture. Then falls down past a check valve into a tee at the bottom of my water heater, only to be heated again and float back up. My return line slopes from the last fixture to the heater giving it a path to fall. Ideally I would insulate the supply portion of the loop. But there isn't enough room for everything I have already squeezed into the stud pocket I'm using. 
    PC7060