Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

Cleaned boiler making new noises. Need to add chemicals?

Zipper13Zipper13 Posts: 54Member
edited February 12 in Strictly Steam
Should I have any additives in there? steammaster? surgemaster? etc

Had my boiler cleaned and flushed a few days ago. It was silent when he refilled and ran it before he left, but this weekend it's gotten noisier. Nothing crazy unbearable loud, but new and annoying.

Sounds include a rapid popping or crackling noise in the boiler on start up just before the main gets hot. Reminds me of just before water fully boils in a pot on a stove - when the bubbles collapse before getting to the surface. Also there is banging/booming from within the boiler itself - lasts longer than the crackling but still only at the beginning of the cycle.

System:
2 Pipe hoffman, 2008 Burnham gas boiler. Uninsulated pipes. pressuretroll all the way down. Pipes pitched ok (1' section is level, but rest is good). Some here have said the header's wrong, but it's original wrong and hadn't been a problem before. Water level same as before flush and is stable +/- an inch or so while running.

The boiler water had been green before flush (someone here has previously suggested it was squick or surgemaster) now it's clear or rusty depending on when in the cycle I look.

There is no skim port so I guess it's never been skimmed. That's probably why the water was green - additives to sequester oils?

My water is a little hard here, but only mildly.

The plumber (on here) said he flushed out a fair amount of sediment.
New owner of a 1920s home with steam heat north of Boston.
Just trying to learn what I can do myself and what I just shouldn't touch
Tagged:

Comments

• Intplm.Intplm. Posts: 243Member
    Hmm. Sounds' as if your boiler is cleaner then it has been in a long time. Over time, probably later this winter those "new" noises you are hearing will stop or be lesser than they are now.
    Give it a few weeks and see how the new break in period works out.
  • Zipper13Zipper13 Posts: 54Member
    hm I didn't think it would need to re-break in. Interesting.
  • Jamie HallJamie Hall Posts: 9,778Member
    And if your system really is a Hoffman Equipped system -- is the Differential Loop still there and connected? Get the pressure way down -- it must be kept less than 7 ounces per square inch for the Loop to operate properly -- and in any event get the steam mains insulated.

If someone has put vents on the steam mains, check and see if the crossover traps are still there and are operating. If they are, take the vents off and increase the main venting at the Differential Loop.
    Jamie

Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England.

Hoffman Equipped System (all original except boiler), Weil-Mclain 580, 2.75 gph Carlin, Vapourstat 0.5 -- 6.0 ounces per square inch
    Loop is still there. Original #11 vent still on it and still opens and closes. That's the only vent. Crossover appears fine and it stays cool through the firing cycle and the venting through the return via that crossover appears unimpeded.

The plan is to add vapourstat on next months budget. Then insulate this summer.

the only thing changed on it since last week when it was quiet on startup is the cleaning and the chemical that used to be in there. I'm still wondering if I need to condition the water somehow or let it "break in" to acclimate to being clean again
    Zipper13 said:

Ok, so maybe not a break in period. But you have cleaned things up nicely and the system sounds different. Over time that sound will soften.
    Intplm. said:

Zipper13 said:

Ok, so maybe not a break in period. But you have cleaned things up nicely and the system sounds different. Over time that sound will soften.
    I didn't mean that sarcastically, but rereading it, it sure sounded that way. I got what you meant about breaking in and did think it was interesting that cleaning a system could bring out some sounds.
    Cool