Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

pics of rust inside new oil tank less than 2 years, thoughts?

ronron Posts: 98Member
was in April, in either 2015 or 2014, I bought and replaced my 275 gallon oil tank in my garage with a new one.
It's the standard black tank, can pick them up just about anywhere including home depot & lowes, and plumbing stores in my area have a dozen or more of these stacked outside. Don't remember the make of mine, I think the sticker on it said made in Canada.
Looked inside mine and observed the following rust formations on just one side of the inside the tank.
Is this normal, typical, or signs of problems to come?
Is there any kind of preventative maintenance that can/should be done with something like this, other than a yearly inspection/poke?

I have a general 1a-25b (the small one) off the fireomatic spigot coming off the bottom of the tank, followed directly by a GarBer R2000 filter and have had zero problems with anything since I installed it, and have cleaned out the 1a-25b once after about 1-1.5 years of use and less than 1000 gallons of oil used, and I had maybe a half ounce at most of water settled at the bottom of the general 1a-25b with zero signs of anything else.

Comments

• vibert_cvibert_c Posts: 57Member
    Your tank is likely made by Granby from Granby, QC. It is a great tank model. You have great filters on it. Take a deep breath and relax. You have not got a problem as I see it.
    vibert_c
  • It’s hard to see anything from the pictures of the tank condition.—NBC
  • newagedawnnewagedawn Posts: 549Member
    no worries, just fill it, great choice of a tank filter
    "The bitter taste of a poor install lasts far longer than the JOY of the lowest price"
  • STEVEusaPASTEVEusaPA Posts: 2,148Member
    If you're pitched towards the bottom outlet, you should have no water in the tank. I suspect being in the garage, you're getting condensation on the inside probably in the summer. At/near the end of the heating season, dump in a bottle of oil treatment and fill the tank for the summer.
    For outside rust, you could sand and paint it.
    steve
  • LeonardLeonard Posts: 422Member
    edited May 15
    Rust only on one end inside sounds like tank had a little water and was warehoused outside on end for months before sale. i wouldn't worry about it

Hard to see anything from your pics , but your tank wall looks real clean compared to my 60 year old tank, mine is mostly crud on walls not rust.

If your tank is like my 60 year old tank it will hold ~ 7.5 gallons of liquid when no more flows out the tank. So that 1 oz of water may have come from letting tank get pretty empty. Then when filled it swirls up everything for a while till it settles out.

My 60 year old tank was plugging the filter, I let oil run out then I vacummed the tank. I removed 7.5 gal of liquid sludge , ~ 4.5 gallons of which was water condensate. One possible recommendation is keep tank filled during hot humid summer months. That way not as much humid air will be pumped in/out of tank by passing weather system pressure changes. But it took us 55 years to get 4.5 gal of condensate accumulation. Is falling roof water splashing around fill cap/vent area?
  • EBEBRATT-EdEBEBRATT-Ed Posts: 4,181Member
    as @STEVEusaPA said oil treatment + keeping the tank full in the summer will reduce any condensation.
  • GBartGBart Posts: 546Member
    Aye, why is your tank empty? Any steel tank will build condensate and rust above the liquid line.