Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

fuel oil filter: the wool felt 1a-30 2a-710 vs microfiber RF1 RF2

ron
ron Member Posts: 217
asking this regarding the general filter housings 1a-25b and 2a-700 and equivalent...

a) the microfiber filters RF1 and RF2 can be used in replacement of the 1a-30 and 2a-710 felt filters, correct?

b) neglecting price, felt vs microfiber which one is better/worse than the other and why? or does it not matter provided everything is in acceptable working order? this would be for small burners not more than 1 to 1.5 gph. I thought the microfiber RF1 / RF2 had a lower micron rating than the felt, but i am seeing they are both rated at 10 micron filtration.

Comments

• RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    I have always had very good luck with the felt. We also treat every gallon of our fuel sold. Most of our regular customers filters are spotless at the annual.
    If the whole filter canister is be replaced then spin-on is the way to go.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,451
    Biofuels and ULS are having a negative effect on the lifespan of canisters
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    I am very spoiled that the terminal we load 100% of our fuel from does not have bio products. Pipeline also sends fuel to Bradley airport and Westover Air Force base.
  • 776v63
    776v63 Member Posts: 61
    Our company uses the RF filters exclusively, although based on information on this forum, I've started doing any new installs or replacements with spin-ons.

It would be interesting to see the difference in surface area and vacuum between the two types.