Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

bronze firomatic valve torque in oil tank

ron
ron Member Posts: 148
i have a right angle bronze firomatic valve, part #12340 see attached pic.
in threading it in to the bottom of the oil tank it gets tight at the point where it is 90° past where i want it, and it will take 270° of rotation to come back around to where i want it. i can rotate it by hand to where it is 180° from where i want it.
so my question is, what's the best solution to get it pointing where i want it?
i am using hercules blue bloc.
is there a better sealant, that is hard setting that would be better to use and where i can back off the valve 90° from hand tight?
or am i ok putting a wrench on it and cracking it that extra 180-270° to get it to where i want it?

Comments

• mjw73
    mjw73 Member Posts: 2
    put a wrench on it and get the extra 3/4 turn,don't "back"off..
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    edited May 2015
    Best thing to do is throw that in the trash, and use black iron bushings, nipples, flare fitting, and a ball valve. Bad design
  • ron

Best thing to do is throw that in the trash, and use black iron bushings, nipples, flare fitting, and a ball valve. Bad design

am i not required to use a fusible valve at the tank?

• billtwocase
    By all means, there should be one at the tank and burner. I prefer a positive shut off before, as it should be, and code here. My weapons of choice attached. You can swing the assembly any way you want, but I prefer towards a wall, and away from traffic
  • ron
    i made due and got it to come out the way i wanted.
    thanks.
    ff.jpg 74.9K
  • billtwocase
    That will work. I prefer not to use the Fireomatic valve elbow for a couple of reasons. Unfortunately they are accepted and pass inspections. Looks good just the same