Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.

dumb flux antimony question

ronron Member Posts: 143
i thought i remember reading they are wanting to phase out antimony in solder (and fluxes) and things are going towards tin/silver/copper with no antimony. is that true?
reason i ask is i have a tub of nokorode 95/5 pre-tinning flux which is antimony, and my solder is silvabrite 100 (tin/silver/copper no antimony). so after thinking about what i actually have, should i consider changing the flux i am using? or should i keep using the nokorode?
thanks.

Comments

• hot_rodhot_rod Member Posts: 13,869
    Some of the older fluxes burn before you hit the melting point of the new solder blends. Check the operating temperature of the flux. Is this for heating use or potable water?

I still like 50/50 for heating solder. Or Bridgit which flows like 50/50
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • jonny88jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    no such thing as a dumb ?.I find water based flux(utility)at least i think its water based stand to be corrected burns to fast before my solder so I stick with my Hercules which I have been using for years.Again everyone has their preferences but a good question.
  • ChrisJChrisJ Member Posts: 11,272
    jonny88 said:

no such thing as a dumb ?.I find water based flux(utility)at least i think its water based stand to be corrected burns to fast before my solder so I stick with my Hercules which I have been using for years.Again everyone has their preferences but a good question.

Hercules is what I use as well.
    This exact stuff. I find it to work much better than the garbage they sell at home improvement stores.

http://www.supplyhouse.com/Hercules-10616-1-2-lb-Climate-Smooth-Soldering-Paste

Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment