Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

275 oil tank true capacity question

ron
ron Member Posts: 217
edited April 2015 in Oil Heating
for the typical 275 gallon vertical indoor oil tank, is 275 gallon the realistic capacity?
by that i mean after installing a new tank completely dry, when it gets filled and the vent whistle stops how much fuel oil should you expect to have been pumped into the tank?

or is 275 the total inside volume of the tank, such that if you were to fill the thing with a liquid completely to the top leaving no airspace then that's 275 gallon?
thanks.

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 11,996
    Usually somewhere around 230-240 gallons. Depends on the vent whistle length and if it's installed in a bushing or not. Then again most of the tanks I used to work on were end outlet which is up off the bot.tom a little. Most if not all tanks are bottom outlet now
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited April 2015
    You're NOT supposed to continue filling AFTER the whistle stops.

If you puke oil on the side of the house, the service manager and the homeowner will be very upset if you do.

The length of the whistle stem is calibrated to allow for proper expansion of the product. If you install a whistle for a flat tank, on a upright tank, the vent might puke when filling. Oil foams. Its the foam that first shuts off the whistle. And experienced delivery drivers can tell when the foam stops and the product gets to the whistle.

Some oil delivery dealers have liability insurance policies that won't pay off on a tank with no working whistle. Some oil companies won't fill your tank if the whistle is defective. Most drivers are instructed to NOT top off oil tanks.

Because of the bogus ban on Teflon Tape on oil, because Teflon Tape isn't used my most on oil tank fill and vent fittings, overfilled oil tanks will leak badly out of the top of the tank and run down the side of the tank.

Fill that sucker up like you do your car. See what happens. There's a reason that the Auto manufacturers tell you to only fill to then the nozzle shuts off.

Same applies to oil tanks. Don't overfill them.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    I replaced a tank once that had bulged due to excessive pressure. The driver went to the wrong house that had a common driveway between two houses and filled the wrong tank that was already filled. The pressure bulged the tank like a poisoned pig.

It had an old style mushroom vent cap that mounted with a set screw. It had no stop inside it and pretty much went right down on the vent pipe.

As long as it was venting air it was ok. When overfilled it couldn.t vent oil fast enough and bulged the tank. There was no whistle.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Used to use those Scully whistle adapter gizmos on the old underground tanks. Hook the hose up to it and drop it in the fill pipe. Forgot what they called those. For the old undergrounds with 3/4" vents and no whistle!!

they
  • ron
    ron Member Posts: 217
    had my new tank filled. basic procedure i did not tell the guy anything other than fill it it was an empty tank, he stopped on his own.
    was 245.5 gallons.
    fill pipe is left most hole on top of the tank, next hole over is the vent alarm. left side of the tank is 1" higher than the right... 13" legs on the left and 12" legs on the right.
    it's a 2" king #14157P vent whistle, installs into threaded hole in top of tank then 2" vent pipe threads into that.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,451

Used to use those Scully whistle adapter gizmos on the old underground tanks. Hook the hose up to it and drop it in the fill pipe. Forgot what they called those. For the old undergrounds with 3/4" vents and no whistle!!

they

Bazooka was the vernacular
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.