Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ESSEX gas valve (Call out for Tim)

JUGHNE
JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
edited November 2018 in Gas Heating
Does anyone have any info on an Essex SX 243 gas valve; 243110801-135; 24 volt .2 amp Class I 6.4 set at 3.5 WC; cust # EF530c(?) Z 301. It is on a Bryant/Dunkirk 246B-6, 525,000 BTUH input---1979?? Found only 1 reference to Essex gas valves and that was for an old wall furnace. Thanks

This is a bump up as I have another Essex valve like this, only 1 1/4" rather than 1".

Comments

• JUGHNE
    Bump up old posting.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Let me look through my library and see what I have. I will get back to you. I am so busy lately I keep meeting myself coming around the corner.
    JUGHNE
  • Tim McElwain
    Yes I have the Essex Combination GasControl bulletin 243/244 what do you need to know?
  • JUGHNE
    This valve is like above but larger, 1 1/4".

The valve in question is SX 243-210801-135...24VAC .20amp.
    Class I-6.4------set 3.5" W/C
    Cust. # EF53CZ-361
    Maybe date code of 7836 stamped on the side of the valve.

It is a 1 1/4" valve
    It has a 1 1/2" straight thru regulator before the gas valve.
    "Thermac Co" T-60 1-M??
    The building gas supply is 4 ounces....7" WC.

This is a 1963 Bryant 244-17 (A series), 960,000 input.
    An old jewel with 4 standing pilots/Baso switch.
    This was a conversion from LPG to NG in perhaps 1970.
    That would have been done by the NG company then.

The large regulator seems to be acting up, perhaps wrestling with the gas valve regulator.
    Is the large 1 1/2" regulator necessary?
    Could it be eliminated?

The 1" valve mentioned above does not have a regulator ahead of it.....same supply system of 7".
  • Tim McElwain
    That valve has a built in Servo regulator so the regulator ahead of the gas valve is not necessary.
  • JUGHNE
    Thank you Tim!
    The more I looked into this it seemed no reg needed.
    (considering the other 1" SX-243 has none)

So what do you think of just cranking this 1 1/2" reg down tight to have no regulation...good idea or not?
    Or remove it and pipe thru?

Both of these jobs were piped by the NG company as they extended the pipeline across northern Nebraska in the late 60's. They were the AHJ at the time as this was a new energy source for the area.
    When someone like this (AHJ) installs anything, we assume it was for a reason....they were in charge.....you did not defy them if you wanted NG.

The info you have on the Essex valves should be in the library on the wall. I had Googled for that name numerous times and thru many searches and always come up short.
    Some suppliers had heard of them but had no info.

Thanks again.
  • Tim McElwain
    I would remove the regulator as the servo regulator in the valve will still react to another diaphragm in the line in close proximity.

I by the way have over 25 bookcases 7 feet high full of literature on gas heating, domestic hot water and other gas appliances. The question is were do we start?

• JUGHNE
    Thanks Tim. Will remove reg.

Someone told me about 20 years ago to save all my product catalogs. He was right as some info has become rare and not all readily available on the WWW. So I have a small collection starting from the late 70's. Only a fraction of your stash.

Maybe being as Dan is retired he would have time to scan your collection. ;)
    delta T
  • Tim McElwain
    I sent an e-mail to Erin we will see what they may want to do.
    JUGHNEdelta T