Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

CSD-1 applicability question

SWEI
SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
I had understood that CSD-1 did not apply to boilers smaller than 400 MBTU/hr.  As I start to read <a href="http://archive.org/download/gov.law.asme.csd-1.2009/asme.csd-1.2009.pdf">http://archive.org/download/gov.law.asme.csd-1.2009/asme.csd-1.2009.pdf</a> I see CG-130 excluding really large boilers and swimming pool heaters, but CG-140 goes on to lay out a somewhat complex series of conditions for listed boilers under 400 MBTU/hr.

CG-140 (1) requires two things:

Compliance with all of part CW

Is this something we need to verify on a case by case basis?

Compliance with two specific paragraphs of CE-110

CE-110 (a) requires a lockable disconnect "at the boiler" and an external boiler room shutdown.  The first aligns well with both NEC and mechanical codes.  The second seems to imply that I need to include a solenoid-operated gas valve (as interlocked with kitchen hoods) on the plant main?

CE-110 (i) apparently forbids self-resetting controls after the primary?

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    CDS1 interpretation?

As i read it, you must has a lockable d/c at the appliance plus the emergency d/c either immediately outside the CAZ or just inside the door if it opens to the outside. one d/c per door.

If the d/c kills the power OR the fuel, it is ok.

Yep, looks to be all safeties on the other side of the system only. That mean a trip would kill all the power to the unit.

2009 IRC Table E4101.2 lists the disconnecting means per the appliance application. >1/8HP motor requires lockout d/c within sight of the equipment.

The 2009 IRC references CSD-1 and the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code Sections I and IV. Anyone have a copy of this Code?
  • Bestboilerman
    Bestboilerman Member Posts: 2
    CSD-1

CSD-1

In regard to the switches at boiler room doors.   Our inspectors here have only required the switches to shut of the control power thus shuttig off fuel.

I persoanly like to use the red commercial push buttons with legend plates "Emergengy  Push to Off".  In commercial buildings (schools) we installed the switches inside the boiler room doors. 

There has been no mention of a gas solenoid valve separate from the boiler gas train.  Shutting down the power effectively kills the fuel supply.

CSD-1 has not been separately adopted by all states.  However, it has been adopted by the International Mechanical Code and I have been told also by the Uniform Mechanical Code as well.

I hope ASME does get after you for publishing a Copywrited document.  I had to pay for mine.
  • Bestboilerman
    Bestboilerman Member Posts: 2
    CSD-1

CSD-1

In regard to the switches at boiler room doors.   Our inspectors here have only required the switches to shut of the control power thus shuttig off fuel.

I persoanly like to use the red commercial push buttons with legend plates "Emergengy  Push to Off".  In commercial buildings (schools) we installed the switches inside the boiler room doors. 

There has been no mention of a gas solenoid valve separate from the boiler gas train.  Shutting down the power effectively kills the fuel supply.

CSD-1 has not been separately adopted by all states.  However, it has been adopted by the International Mechanical Code and I have been told also by the Uniform Mechanical Code as well.

I hope ASME does get after you for publishing a Copywrited document.  I had to pay for mine.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I have paid for

(and continue to pay for) a small library of copyrighted documents.

The link to archive.org was mine.  I can not take credit for the target.
This discussion has been closed.