Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Radiant & Baseboard Taco Controls Question HELP!

Options
Rickr86
Rickr86 Member Posts: 3
Hi, I’m in the process of installing my boiler. My plumber is assisting me but I will be designing and installing everything. The boiler is Cast Iron-Gas Fired-Hot Water-Weil-McLain CGA-3 (IBR 51,000).  I’m installing a total of 6 zones, 6 Taco Zone Valves; 3 Slant/Fin Baseboard zones and 3 radiant (concrete floor) zones.  With help from others and forums I have my piping arrangement, please see the attachments.

<strong>1.)</strong>

I need to confirm what controls I need and how everything is wired.

The system pump will be wired directly to the boiler, correct?

And then I need two separate Taco Zone Controllers? One for the baseboard zones & pump and then another for the radiant zones & pump?

<strong>2)</strong>

Can the system pump and zone pump be at the same elevation and/or in series. What spacing should I try to maintain.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Boiler Protection

You need boiler protection. A Taco I valve will do what you need and provide outdoor reset as well.

Not only will the condensation from low return temps destroy the boiler, The cold slab will draw down the temp of the system on startup and starve the baseboards.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    Spacing

The attached document should answer your question on the spacing.

The elevation of the circulators is irrelevant. Put them at a nice serviceable height and call it good.

Yes you will need a zone controller for the high temp valve and another for the low temp valves. Letting the boiler control the system circ is a good idea.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Why?:

Why on god's green earth did you buy a state of the art heating system, with all the toots and whistles.  And but a CGA boiler in it? If you wanted to save money, you should have just put in baseboard and some zone valves.

At least a boiler with sealed combustion and some efficiency.

A Weil McLain GV 90+ would give you higher efficiency, has sealed combustion, is bomb proof, and is internally piped to protect the boiler from condensation damage. A CGA-3 is 84% on a good day.

Your system will be like building a F-18 fighter jet and hanging a prop on the front, powered by rubber band bungee cords.