Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to attach 1" steam radiator to 1 1/4" valve ?

Trying to figure out an easy way to adapt a radiator with 1" spud to valve that's 1 1/4" nominally. Are there couplers that can do this? One radiator was already trashed by trying to remove the bushing. So, I'm wondering if with this second radiator, the existing bushing (and spud) can be used since they tend to rust themselves onto the radiator body.

Thanks for any ideas!



  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 22,934
    Problem is

    that those spuds are almost always actually half of a union, with the other half of the union being on the valve.  And unions have to match.

    I suppose, with exceedingly good luck, you might find a union which would fit that spud, then kludge up something with an increaser and another union to fit a valve... only thing I can think of at the moment, anyway.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
    ALIGA Member Posts: 194
    edited January 2014
    Use a reducer

    1 x 1 1/4

    I fixed two rads like that.

    U will also need the 1 1/4 union nut/spud
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Keep a baking pan under the new setup to catch the leaks

    Jaimie is right , the valve and spud are a matched pair, and if not installed correctly, will leak. Just remove the bushing, by making axial cuts in it from inside to outside, without going into the threads of the radiator boss. Use a chisel, and hammer to knock some of the slices you have made to the inside, and then the rest should unscrew easily.--NBC
  • copperkid
    copperkid Member Posts: 22
    Use a eccentric reducer

     I would reduce it if you can't or don't feel comfortable chiseling the bushing out.  If you reduce it a cast iron eccentric reducer would be your best choice.
  • Hydronicz
    Hydronicz Member Posts: 12

    I always cut the bushings out with a sawzall and then chisel it out. If you do cut into the threads a bit, just wrap the new threaded nipple or bushing with LampWick.