Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton #1 or 2

Options
My main Vent is a 3/4 usav-883 I want to replace with a Gorton. I read that the #2 is better then the #1. My question is the #1 has a 3/4 nipple but the #2 looks like a 1/2 nipple? Why the difference and wouldn't the smaller one be less effective? Also if it is better should i just reduce my pipe with a 3/4 x 1/2 coupling?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Vent

Go for the Gorton #2. The end is indeed 1/2" but it won't make a noticeable difference. 1/2" can vent something like 2x as much air as the Gorton #2 itself. I would install one for every 25 feet of 2" main.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Gorton# 2's

Gorton# 2's are huge vents, make sure you have enough head room to install. I did not and instead installed 3 # 1's.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    When you consider how small the orifice in the vent is

the difference between 1/2" and 3/4" is really not important, and if you go with the #1 (or two or three of them) you might want to reduce down to 1/2" anyway. The #1s have a 1/2" female thread inside, so it can screw onto a 1/2" nipple without a coupler. This makes it convenient to build an "antler" for multiple #1s out of 1/2" pipe and fittings. A lot of people choose this approach because the #1s are smaller and cheaper, you can add as many as you want, and they won't fail all at once if they do go bad.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,713
    Options

I agree with going with a #2 and also agree to make sure you have enough room.  I have five #1s installed on my 30' main due to lack of clearance.  As others have said ignore the fact a #1 is 3/4" and a #2 is 1/2"  Not sure why this is but its moot and doesn't effect the performance.

Here is a picture of my setup as well as a picture comparing a #1 to a #2.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • itzasean
    itzasean Member Posts: 71
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks all of you for the input. And wow they are a lot larger. It looks like a total height with the nipple around 6" (if my eyes are good). Ill check my clearance and see what I can do. Thanks again guys!
    Czakky82shyheim
  • joewolf
    joewolf Member Posts: 19
    Options
    can you install vent on the main?

hello guys excuse my ignorance im new to steam heat ,from what i red on this wall they said that the best place to vent install the vent is on the return when it drops ,so where is the best place the return or the main thanks,JOE
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Main

Hi Joe,

I'm a homeowner not a pro, but my understanding is the best place is at the end of the main. The reasoning is installing it at the end of the dry return adds friction which results in slower venting as well as you are now heating the return with steam rather than just water,.

I have considered moving my vents from the location shown above to where it drops down to the wet return as I would have easy access to the vents. The problem is I really don't want to heat the dry return any more than I already am even though I just insulated it.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • joewolf
    Options
    can you install vent on the main?

thanks cris ,ok now i see why same of the return are so hot ,what can i do to not to lose that steam in the return just put a small vent? thanks .JOE
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    No vent

Hi Joe,

Neither of my dry returns have any vents.

As far as I know no venting of returns is required on a single pipe system. I do believe returns on a two pipe system do have vents as they vent all of the radiators.
  • joewolf
    Options
    no vent

thanks crhis ,the vent on the return been there for a long time ,should i take them off and plug the nipple and see what it does ?thanks .JOE
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    Only

Only plug it if you are replacing it with ones at the end of the main instead. Ensure all mains have vents at the ends of them.
  • kamruz
    kamruz Member Posts: 18
    Options
    Building size

Chris J,

How many story building you have?
  • ChrisJ
    Options
    story

It's a 2 story single family house. Just over 1600sqft.

Why do you ask?