In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Carbon Monoxide Issues - HELP!
We have a Buderus direct venting high efficiency oil boiler that was installed four years ago. When it was installed, the direct venting (and also combustion air intake) piping were installed and our chimney was demolished. We have had problems ever since - any time a window is open the gas comes in, and our house had a constant smell. Recenly, our CO detectors in the house went off. Fire department came and got positive hits and shut the boiler off. Heating company came and it turns out the galvanized exhaust pipe was completely rotted. They replaced with another galvanized since they don't keep SS in stock. We are going to have it replaced with SS once its available. After this happened we also ordered a digital CO detector so we could check levels as well if we got another hit. We brought it into the basement and found we are STILL getting CO. Every time the boiler comes on it spikes into the hundreds. We have our basement door open a crack right now, which seems to dissipate the CO pretty quickly and our house detectors (with one in the basement) have not gone off again yet. The heating company has come back and "re-sealed" it several times with more red goop, and has still not fixed the problem. Someone suggested we put an exterior SS chimney in ($$$). My question is - will this really solve the problem? Shouldn't we fix the leaky exhaust pipe issue first? Will the chimeny work with the blower on the boiler (which seems like it is meant to blow the air out without a chimney)? Also - aren't we asking for more rotting issues of the chimney as well? Also, to further compound the issue, the problem is worse after we've been running the dryer, so it seems we could have a negative pressure issue too. If we put a chimney in, couldn't this be asking for trouble too then? Meaning wouldn't the negative pressure draw air in from the barometric regulator thing? Sigh. I'm so stressed and fed up with this issue that I'm ready to turn to electric heat. Please help!! Should I be pushing the heating company more, or is there really nothing else they can do? Is the Chimney the only way to solve this problem?