Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler: Does the installation of a "Hartford loop" matter?

Options
A new Dunkirk model 400 was recently installed and has yet to function properly, the boiler overfills.  In conversation with the installer, a Mr. John Groya of Bay City, MI, I suggested that a "Hartford loop" might help.  That suggestion was immediately discounted.  My suggestion was that it would help to reduce the "apparent" draw down of water by effectively increasing the reservoir volume, subsequently reducing the amount of fresh water that would have to be added per cycle.  Does the installation of a "Hartford loop" matter? 

While I'm asking, does anyone know if Michigan boiler codes require the installation of a "Hartford loop?

Lastly, due to the frustration of having a new furnace that requires daily attention I've read up on the unit and have found that the LWCO is installed such that the fill line intersects the center of the glass watch tube, this contradicts the manufacturers instructions and according it sounds most likely to be responsible for the unit overfilling.  Should the LWCO be reinstalled in a lower position to correct the problem or would a "Hartford loop" take care of it? 
This discussion has been closed.