Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

introducing my downstairs boiler & system

Options
Dsisson
Dsisson Member Posts: 92
OK, this is my followup from this thread:

<a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/146822/Introduce-me-and-my-2-steam-boilers/success">http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/146822/Introduce-me-and-my-2-steam-boilers/success</a>

I sized the radiators for this system with the following results:

169.8 SF of radiation x 240 net BTUH = 40,752 total BTUH load

The boiler is an antique Capitol Winchester. I do not know the model number, boiler input or output. Here is what I *DO* know:

Boiler is Capitol Winchester "Size 31". It is serial number 190001. It has a Janitrol Gas Conversion Burner model #JF-65K. This gas burner has an input rating BTU/Hr of "RAT+MIX" = 75,000 min / 80,000 max. and "MFD" = 75,000 min / 120,000 max

I'm attaching a PDF of photos of all the radiators and of the boiler, burner and piping.

My questions:

1) does anything look WRONG, should be fixed?

2) should I replace this boiler due to age and/or inefficiency?

3) can I extend the system to add 2 radiators to a small addition (say approx 25 sf rad to a bedroom and 15 sf rad to a bathroom)?

Thanks in advance. I will post another post about my upstairs system

Comments

• Dsisson
    Options
    Anyone?

Hoping to get some advice, especially about replacing the boiler.

Gas company tells me it costs an additional $75 a month to run this boiler versus the upstairs one. At that price, it'll take 6 years or more to pay off a boiler replacement. Worth it??
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Steam

Yes, it makes A LOT of sense to replace that boiler. It's hard to say that anything is specifically wrong because, with that older style boiler, the near-boiler piping was not as critical as it is today. With a modern boiler, the piping will need to be done perfectly to ensure proper operation.

You can add as many radiators as you want, as long as the main is big enough to handle the extra load.
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    wow

Sure neat to see but glad we don't work on any of those antiques around here! How old is that puppy? The gas bills from a new one should be dramatically lower!
  • Dsisson
    Options
    Old boiler new boiler

I think it is 1930 vintage. Former coal boiler.

Had a guy come by today to give me a price on a new one. He recommended a Pennco 1604 and didn't take the time to figure what size we needed, just counted the radiators. I figure the size is at least one too big, what do you think? Is Pennco any good? Got a couple other guys coming too, cuz I don't think this ones any good.
This discussion has been closed.