Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit


BRIANJBRIANJ Member Posts: 118



  • JStarJStar Member Posts: 2,668

    Those are test cocks. They let you manually check the water level in a gauge glass or boiler.
    - Joe Starosielec
    [email protected]
  • Dave in QCADave in QCA Member Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2013
    Also known as

    These are also known as Try cocks.  They are used if a gauge glass is broken or plugged.  The three test points will tell you where the water line is.  Bottom cock should spray water, middle cock should spray a mix or mostly water.  Top cock should emit steam only.

    Here is a link with some pictures that explain how it works. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
  • BRIANJBRIANJ Member Posts: 118
    Thanks for the information

    I thought these valves were rather unusual. Not something you see in a standard home owners boiler. And it's a good day because I learned something new.

    Thanks again, Brian
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!