Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Another "What is this?".

Thirty-two years in the trade and this was the first time I've ever seen this.  Every vent in the attic of a 1928 house in Berkeley had a 3" strip of linen neatly wrapped around the pipe and secured with a piece of cotton twine.

My stupid cat figured it out before I did - can you?
8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Condensate evaporator???

Bad flashing interceptor??

Cat claw cleaner??

Just guessing...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    I got it!

It's to cut the noise down when rain hits the cap. Or not! Ask the cat.
  • Duff
    Duff Member Posts: 61
    agree with Mark

to stop condensate
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    But if it were a condensate evaporator, it'd have to be on the IN side of the pipe, and that probably wouldn't work very well....

Hmmmmm.....

Quoth the homeowner, It only leaks when it's a driving rain... As long as its a steady down, straight down rain, it's OK....:-)
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Jr_12
    Jr_12 Member Posts: 38
    my house

I had this in my house when I bought it. Evidently the roof leaked at one time and the water would run down the pipe into the "moisture dissipater"...aka a rag
This discussion has been closed.