In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
I assisted today at catholic school in Brooklyn ...
retired catholic school in brooklyn being repurposed as artist space ...
+ 2 boilers .. 14section HB Smiths (Mills 450) .. each rated for 9,225sq ft of steam .. http://www.smithboiler.com/html/mills4500A.asp
+ Carlin 1050 #2 Oil burners .. underfired ~7gph .. hi/lo/hi inoperable (only hi likely due to underfire and 0-15psi pressuretrol setup)
+ 1-pipe steam .. 36 classrooms + Modines in the basement .. not sure of total EDR .. corner classrooms with 4 rads, others classrooms with 2 rads + stairways, halls and bathrooms.
+ 141pieces of 2-column true-steam rads
+ main venting/system venting .. lacking severely ..
+ fuhgedahbout any kind of system balancing ..
The previous knuckleheads had stuck a condensate pump on the end of return .... with sarco traps and strainers prior to pump .. guess what .. pump kept returns dry .. and it was jackhammer city in the basement. End of 2 mains joined above water line (well the returns were dry, everything was above waterline) causing short-circuit of steam.
1 major leak in under-floor/buried in soil pipe and minor leak in 3" return line coupling. boiler would be overfilled each day and lose it's full load within 5hrs of steaming.
some radiators in school stone cold .. first priority of the Parish is to heat all rads.
Proposal for work (originally penned by me)...PREVIOUS NOTES IN RED, CURRENT IN BLUE
The outline of work to be performed is as follows:
1) provide heat to all upstairs radiators in a timely and efficient fashion
2) fix leaks to eliminate loss of system water
3) attain high/lo/high firing to decrease fuel consumption
To address full system heating:
1) Cut out boiler room return traps/strainers, abandon return pump,
join return pipes in boiler room, return water through pipe on floor of
boiler room DONE
2) Install "False Water Line"/Gifford Loop to
fill returns above raised return section in far music studio and "joined
returns" at end of mains DONE..FALSE WATER LINE SET AT 71" FROM FLOOR..THIS HEIGHT PROPERLY FILLS FAR MAIN CROSSOVER CONNECTION.
To address timely/efficient steam delivery to system radiators:
1) Install capacious venting at end of mains and/or other vent
points in basement using adequately sized Gorton #2s vent trees DONE 16 pieces in total in various locations throughout basement
2) Drill and tap and vent risers on 4th floor if possible/accessible
to deliver steam quickly to the risers. 4th Flr Riser Venting to be
installed would be Gorton Ds or Gorton 1s unless it is
determined/feasible to install Gorton #2s. DONE .. only in back of school that was NOT getting any heat
3) Double check and ensure that all abandoned zone valves are as completely open as possible. DONE
**** Radiator venting maintenance and Radiator Supply Valve maintenance would be the responsibility of school staff. ****
To address leaks:
1) Fix leaking coupling in area of stacked desks (boiler room side) **** school staff responsibilty to clear desks DONE .. it had a sand hole
2) Fix leaking flange-union in area of stacked desks (end of mains side) **** school staff responsibilty to clear desks DONE
3) Fix leaking pipes/fittings on semi-buried return outside boiler
room consider removal of soil from around the pipes to eliminate
accelerated future leaking. Use some kind of lining or blocking as/if
appropriate to eliminate contact of pipes with soil/concrete. LEAK FIXED, CONCRETE LINING ON MONDAY
4) Fix leaking valve/vent above music studio control room door near end-of mains. DONE
To address hi/low/hi in order to decrease fuel consumption:
1) Install new nozzles to deliver proper amount of fuel to the
boiler .. currently 4 hi/4 hi /9.5 (low) (17.5gph) proposed 4.5 hi/4.5
hi/12 (low) (21gph) .. all current nozzles are SS-45deg NOZZLES PURCHASED 7H/7H/9.5L .. DIFFERENT NOZZLES TO BE PURCHASED .. 7/7/9.5 would not get clean
2) Retune combustion settings as necessary ..
3) Adjust pressure controls/install vaporstats to allow switching from low fire to high fire based on system pressure. VAPORSTATS INSTALLED AND ROUGHLY ADJUSTED .. ONGOING .. may need 0-16oz for LHL rather than the currently installed 0-4psi
4) Mark proper boiler waterline for proper water fill maintenance on sight-glass. WATERLINE
TO BE HELD AT 69" FROM FLOOR USING MANUAL RESET AUTOFEED (MM 247-2) (AUTOFEED ON
MONDAY)...WATER USE METER TO BE INSTALLED TO TRACK FRESH WATER INFLOW .. DONE .. Istec 1701 meter installed.
NEW ITEM: Install Garber Spin on Oil filter (11BV-MK) as an additional secondary filter.