Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is O2 barrier tubing safe for potable?

Options
Rankin
Rankin Member Posts: 26
I know it says not-for-potable on hePex but is that specific to Uponor only ?

I have a customer whose nice, new house has a Rinnai heater doing the radiant and dhw in an open system. I'm just looking for other things to add on my list, along with legionnaire's disease, high iron content (cast iron pump and flanges used), and replacing the Rinnai exchanger every five years.

Thanks folks!

Comments

• SpeyFitter
    SpeyFitter Member Posts: 422
    Options
    Rubber Stamp

I know Rehau's Raupex with o2 barrier is rated for potable.

I've heard some speculate that the potable rating is a rubber stamp that Uponor would have to pay for to get their O2 barrier certfied for potable. But it's probably a multi-million dollar rubber stamp that they elected not to pay for. Plus it sells more pipe. 

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• salmonhunter71
    salmonhunter71 Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Safety

Could it be that Uponor put the words non-potable on there so that a homeowner or lower class of plumber does not tie into a radiant line during a remodel. Is it Uponor's legal protection?
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I don't think so...

If that were the case, they (code authorities) would require red for potable hot, and blue for potable cold, and any other color (other than purple, which is reserved for recycled non potable water) for non potable heating applications, and that is not the case.

It has to do with money, and cert's. It is the exact same tubing, except for the EVOH barrier, and the barrier has no ill health effects. The approval agencies get a LOT of money for their testing/certification services, and Uponor already spent a bucket load of money getting Aqua-PEX approved.

One is for one use, the other for another use. In a pinch, I have used barrier tube in a potable application, but would NEVER use AquaPEX for a closed loops space heating app.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    Options
    Is the O2 barrier

always coated on the outside of the tubing ?

Makes recertification of the same pipe kinda dopey , in my opinion .
  • Rankin
    Rankin Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies!
  • EJ hoffman
    EJ hoffman Member Posts: 126
    Options
    not stamped don't use

Here is what I know and what I have learned(some from being a lurker on the wall)

If the product is not stamped for it's use don't use it.  Oxygen barrier pipe not stamped for potable use should not be used in potable applications.PERIOD 
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    This comment has nothing to do with heating.

When I had my kitchen remodelled, one of the things they did was move my sink from a blank wall to a spot in front of a window. They then moved a washing machine from a wall near where the sink would go to the blank wall..

When the house was built, lazy plumber had the hot water tap on the right and the cold water tap on the left for the washing machine. I quickly realized this when I bought the house and moved the ground wire from the hot water to the cold water pipe.

When the plumber came to do his part of the remodelling job, I pointed out that the hot and cold were reversed there. He either did not believe me, or forgot. So he put the blue pipe on the hot water and the red pipe on the cold water. Old house: existing pipe is all copper. Before they could put the wall back, the plumbing inspector approved all that. When they put the sink in, but prior to plumbing the dish washer, I reminded him the pipes were reversed. He tried to prove I was wrong, but proved I was right. Instead of reversing the red and blue pipe, he did some amazing plumbing work under the sink. I hope the color of the plastic tubing for plumbing potable water is just for convenience and that the temperature ratings of the two colors are about the same. My hot water is only about 120F there. Are the squeeze fittings where the copper connects to the plastic so expensive that he did not reverse therm there?
This discussion has been closed.