Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
In fairness to all, we don't discuss pricing on the Wall. Thanks for your cooperation.
Need to contact us? Visit

Best Tool For Oventrop

ChasManChasMan Member Posts: 353
I have some 1/2" chrome Oventrop Valves to install and they have two little bumps on the inside of the nipples. What would be the best tool for tightening these things? Do they make a special wrench? I can do it with a tapered square rod or a tapered handled wrench but I was wondering if they made a special wrench.


  • Mark EathertonMark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,582
    Google Radiator Spud Wrench

    Here is what it looks like.

    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • hot rodhot rod Member Posts: 7,003
    radiator wrench

    like this also
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    The magic is in hydronics, and hydronics is in me
  • ChasManChasMan Member Posts: 353

    I had seen that tool, as well as "spud nipples" and thought that might be the thing but these oventrop nipples, well, they are very well cast and I thought they might have some proprietary wrench. I have only worked on Fintube before, this is my first radiator. :-) And its not even a radiator its a piece of Runtal baseboard.

    Thanks! I will order that little guy.
  • zacmobilezacmobile Member Posts: 211
    ^^ I've got one of those

    I love it, It's nice & compact but I wish they made another bigger size for larger valves.
  • Glen AspenGlen Aspen Member Posts: 53
    thanks to one of my best clients -

    that liked to help and do things himself (honestly - he was good at it!) we used a torx drive socket for 3/8 square drive. superbly elegant!
  • timo888timo888 Member Posts: 137
    where to buy ... been looking and looking and looking

    Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I'm also trying to connect a couple of valves to a Runtal, and would like to get one of these smaller tools but I cannot find them. Do they have a special name? Radiator spud wrench is finding plenty of the larger kind used with a pipe wrench, but not this compact version.
  • alotlikeearlalotlikeearl Member Posts: 68
    Finding Radiator Spud Wrench

    You can find them on the Home Depot website.

This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!