Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant Heat & Humidity?

Options
Kungur
Kungur Member Posts: 49
As I consider a retro to radiant floor heat I was wondering how those of you who have it add humidity to your house?

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Why?

Radiant heat does not make the air any dryer. 

Many farced air heating contractors will try to scare homeowners with this argument.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    Options
    Small humidifier.

I have radiant heat downstairs (slab on grade with 1/2" copper tubing in the slab). I do not need much humidification, but when I do, I used to use a small Honeywell room-size water-boiling electric humidifier. After about 10 years or so, the unit burned out a couple of days ago, so I just ordered a new one (different model).I usually just run it in my bedroom at night.
  • Kevin_in_Denver_2
    Kevin_in_Denver_2 Member Posts: 588
    Options
    Higher temp equals lower humidity

Whenever you raise the temperature of a room, the relative humidity drops. Therefore humidification is just as important in a radiant house as a scorched air house.

Sinus membranes in the path of the 120F forced air will be dried out worse than in a radiant house. That's why people think the air is drier in a forced air heated house.

Once that air is mixed with the rest of the air in the room, the relative humidity is the same with both types of heat.
    Superinsulated Passive solar house, Buderus in floor backup heat by Mark Eatherton, 3KW grid-tied PV system, various solar thermal experiments
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Thats why FA is drier

A radiant system will never see 120* exchange to the air, like FA does. Most radiant panels be it floor,walls,ceiling will never see temps above 85-95 degrees at the surface. Plus there is less air infiltration than with FA stack effect.

I have lived in both, and can tell you its not as dry in a radiant home.

Gordy 
This discussion has been closed.