Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Zone Valves & Taco Controller

MikeD
MikeD Member Posts: 11
I was provided with a Taco SR504 switching relay for my radiant system which has two Viega stainless manifolds.  Is this the right controller for the powerhead valve actuators?  The SR504 dosn't have separate terminals for them.  Do you wire them inline with the thermostat, so that when the thermostat completes the circuit they open?

Thanks

Mike

Comments

• EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    SR504

The Taco SR504 is a circulator pump switching  relay.  If you are looking to control EBVs you would likely need a ZVC504
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • MikeD
    edited December 2009
    SR504 and a Transformer?

Hi Eric

Thanks For the reply, I looked around for the ZVC504 but could only find 400 series ZVC. 

I found a post from somebody with a similar situation on another forum.  (see below)  It sounds roughly how I was trying to hook them up except for the transformer idea, I guess the Taco SR504 just doesn't have enough juice in the thermostat line to actuate the valve.  I've got 4 circulators, 2 are connected individually to a single Viega SS manifold, other two circulators drive their zones directly.  What do you think of this suggestion?

"in place of the ZVC get a 24volt,40va transformer and wire like this....from the R terminal on the 24 volt side of the transformer go to each R terminal of the thermostat on the zones controlled by the zone valves,from the W terminal on the t-stat back to one yellow wire on the corrosponding zone valve,the other yellows go back to C terminal on the transformer,take one red wire from each zone valve,tie them together and they go to one thermostat terminal on the SR 504,same goes for the other set of reds..(I am assuming that the zone valves are Honeywell v8043 e's........if not, then you will have to figure out which wires are for the zone valve motor,yellows on the Honeywell,and which are the end switch)the circulator for the zone valves gets wired to the zone that has the zone valves on the 504...........XX to TT on your aquastat and there you go!!"
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Taco ZVC

You need a ZVC-404 for the acutator controls you need a SR relay for your circs. You can use the circ relay as the master and the zone relay as the slave. See page 13 of the attached wiring book. It shows a SR-501 and ZVC 406
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
  • MikeD
    Transformer Option

Hi Chris

Thanks for the info.  Normally I prefer to use the right equipment for the job and not rig things, but to avoid a lot of rewiring (and buy a twenty buck transformer as opposed to a $100 controller), and keep it simple, do you think the add on transformer idea would work?

Mike
  • EricAune
    EricAune Member Posts: 432
    ZVC404, sorry

Chris is right, I typed the model number wrong.

In response to keeping it simple, there is no question it will cost more with the added relay but you will get diagnostics and a simplified control strategy once all the wiring is complete.  Clean install and final product with reliability is what will keep it all working properly too!
    "If you don't like change, your going to like irrelevance even less"
  • MikeD
    I Think I'm Beggining to Understand...

Let me just make sure I have this right.  With my 4 circ pumps, 1 of which will have a manifold that will be zoned.  I remove that circulator from being connected to the SR504 and connect it to the ZVC's extra end switch and connect the ZVC's main end switch to the boiler's aquastat.

Thermostats connected to the SR504 turn on the boiler and their respective circulators  and thermostasts connected to the ZVC turn the boiler and connected circ. 

Both ZVC and SR main end switch are connected to boiler aquastat

Thanks

Mike
This discussion has been closed.