Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Compare the Burnham MPO and the PurePro Trio oil boiler

Options
kpc_73
kpc_73 Member Posts: 26
the MPO is all american casting and all. The trio imported from europe.... You may very well be paying more for the labor in the mfg. process.
All the at aside.... KEEP the chimney. Line it. The direct vent options are poor choices for oil. You will come to regret it if you don't do the liner.... hope this helps.

Comments

• jeanRR
    jeanRR Member Posts: 37
    Options
    How does the PurePro Trio compare to the Burnham MPO oil boiler

Hello,

Are the PurePro Trio and the Burnham MPO oil boilers comparable in quality and price? I received quite a reasonable estimate to install a new Trio (the smallest one), and a fairly high estimate to install a new MPO 115. Also, I would like to vent the new boiler outside rather than through the chimney, to save the cost of a new stainless steel liner. I'm not sure I would actually save, since the kit may cost as much or more than the liner (installed). Lastly, my Amtrol hot water tank is 7 years past warranty but still operates well. Would it be better to replace it now or wait until it stops working?

I look forward to more of your helpful advice.

Thanks,
    Jeanne

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    MPO

That would be recommendation with liner, and as before, use up all the Amtrol has to offer. What is the install date of the Amtrol, and why are they wanting to replace it? JMO Also outside air would be a plus. peace
  • jeanRR
    Options
    Good to know...

...that both boilers come recommended. Thanks for your tip about venting thru the chimney when using oil. Much appreciated!

Jeanne
  • jeanRR
    Options

...is the year the Amtrol was installed. For some reason, it still looks almost like new. The contractor would replace it with a stone-lined tank because, as he said, my tank is old, and he would be there anyway (installing the MPO 115 he recommends), and have all his tools there. He also mentioned that it would cost around $300. more to replace the tank later on.

Jeanne
  • billtwocase
    Options
    stone lined tanks

are no good. Been there done that. I installed my Amtrol in 1984. The worst that could happen is the coil needing replacement. Much cheaper than the $1800 he quoted on the earlier post. Your choice, but if properly installed and maintained, Amtrol will last. peace
  • jeanRR
    Options
    HVAC

• jeanRR
    Options
    Amtrol maintenance

Hi,

I don't ever remember having to do any maintenance on my indirect Amtrol water tank. I noticed the Trio has a matching water tank -- your can choose plastic or stone-lined. Do you know what they list as?

Thanks for the tip on stoned-lined tanks! They cost a bundle!

Jeanne
  • jeanRR
    Options
    HVAC man versus BOILER man

Hi,

The estimate I got for the PurePro Trio was from an HVAC man w/burner tech license. For the Burnham MPO, the estimate came from a licensed burner tech who only works with boilers. The boiler man is quite disdainful of HVAC techs in general as to their competence, knowledge, experience. Is this just professional rivalry, or should one be wary of HVAC when it comes to boiler installation/maintenance. By the way, the HVAC guy had numerous impeccable references, while the Boiler man has an A+ rating with the BBB but has provided very few references and seems reluctant to supply more.

Thanks,
    Jeanne
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Ah rivilary

I like that one and have been there from both sides i could though see why it is so in some cases with one side having more experence in some asepts of the job while lacking in others.I think it's pretty common i know most oil guys i know hate the hvac guys and vise versa and you can throw the plumbers in there for that pool of disagreement and hate and lets not forget the eletricians .It's a tough business with alot of different aproaches to getting a job done and how to do it and still make some money .Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • jeanRR
    Options
    Trio estimate from Boiler Man

I think I will request an estimate from Boiler Man on the Trio, which he thinks is a piece of junk. He said he looked at it at F.W. Webb. Some of you think the Trio is a "nice little boiler," however. I am curious what B.M. would charge for one.

Jeanne

• CTburns
    CTburns Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Should I line my chimney?

I had a Trio boiler installed two years ago and the HVAC guy insisted that I didn't need to line my flue. Is this true? What are the benefits of lining the flue?
  • kpc_73
    Options
    kind of....

depends... how old is the chimney? Is it lined w/ clay tile or is it unlined period? Is it on an out side wall or is it in the middle? Unlined perid... yes! Outside wall w/ clay.. maybe.
  • CTburns
    CTburns Member Posts: 2
    Options

House was built in 1983, outside wall chimney lined with clay. Just had the chimney sweep here to clean my woodstove flue and he looked at this flue and said it was in good condition and didn't need cleaning. My concern is for years down the road, as I intend to remain in the house for a long time.
  • jeanRR
    Options
    slant-fin-eutectic-ec-10-oil-fired-boiler

Hi,

The contractor who recommended the PurePro Trio sent me info on the Slant-fin Eutectic ec-10 boiler as well. How do they differ? Which one is more efficient, reliable, durable, economical, or a better value? There seem to be a lot of good boilers out there. How does one finally choose one of them? Does it come down in the end to color and style? :) Or do you just close your eyes and pick one from a chart?

Thanks,
    Jeanne
  • billtwocase
    Options
    lining

external chimney and low stack temps generally cry for a stainless liner. You may get away with it for a few years, but one day it will crumble. Keep a close eye on it. peace
  • kpc_73
    Options
    I agree..

• Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    I would say

you really can't go wrong with any of the boilers you've mentioned so far- the MPO, Eutectic or Trio. They're all 3-pass types which are inherently more efficient than older units, and are much easier to service as well. And they come from good companies.

In the end, it'll probably come down to which installer you prefer. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they did a proper heat-loss calculation to size the boiler, and install the boiler "by the book".

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.