Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New steamer install

jackchips_2
jackchips_2 Member Posts: 1,338
job and smart customers.

Replacing boilers in the off season, what a novel concept.

Well done, Mark and Darin will be with all of us in spirit until his return.

Jack

Comments

• Mark Hunt
    Mark Hunt Member Posts: 4,909
    A lead from The Wall

We finished this steam boiler on Friday.

The customer got us from our "Find a Professional" ad here at HH.com. Thanks Dan!

The "old" boiler was not the original to the house and we found a few piping mistakes. The hartford loop was higher than the "new" boiler water line and the two returns were connected above the water line as well. This wouldn't have been an issue with the original boiler which would have had a higher water line.

Once I removed the pipe insulation(BEAUTIFUL job BTW) we found that the "new" boiler had been connected to the system with 2" pipe. WRONG! For the sqft. of steam it produced the header needed to be 2.5" minimum. The equalizer was wrong as well and NO skim tap.

The new W-M EG has a 3" header and we used 2.5" to re-connect to the supply.

You can see a jug of Rhomar Hydro-solve in the pics. We love the stuff! We fired the boiler and ran it hot with the hydro-solve. Skimmed it a few times and we will return a couple more times for more skimming and Hydro-solve treatment. We will also be insulating the new piping.

The customer did his research and was a joy to work for. Thanks Rich! I am working on a new page for our web site that will be dedicated to steam systems.

Best part was I got to spend the time with Darin before he ships out for Iraq. I miss him already.

Mark H

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Looks great!

Is this a one-pipe or Vapor system? How did you vent it?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark Hunt
    One pipe vapor

and we replaced the main vents.

That first nipple coming out of the top of the boiler is 3"x24". I used a 3"x6" nipple out of the union. 2.5" fittings and pipe are not big stock items so I used as much 3" as I could.

Thanks Frank!

This was one of three steam systems that have come our way recently via the "Find a Professional" ad we have here. I learned a valuable lesson from all three of these customers. They didn't think that we did steam systems when they looked at our web site. A HORRIBLE over-sight on my part and I am going to rectify that ASAP.

Next Monday we start a steam system for a home from the ground up. Only thing left of the original system is the rads. That one will get a Burnham V84 w/Riello burner, all new mains, run outs and vents. That'll be fun!

Thanks again for the kind words.

Mark H

• is that a ?

Is that a eg 50 or 55? Nice job there, no wet steam gonna get up there! Wondering if u or the customer specify weil mclain?
  • The Wire Nut
    The Wire Nut Member Posts: 417

Beautiful Mark! What a clean smooth job... As a recent wrangler of some 3" fittings myself, I can really appreciate how much effort you put in doing it all in 3"....

You're lucky to have a customer who can appreciate your work and trust you enough to spend the extra money that doing it right entails...

What do you use for insulation?

Alex...
    "Let me control you"

Lost in SOHO NYC and Balmy Whites Valley PA
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Nice looking work Pal.

Nice and neat. Hows the arms after throwing those wrnechs around. Lucky customer to get you.

I was laughing at the picture of the owner looking at the flue damper. I can just here you saying " Don't touch that ! " :)

You are right on about the steam on your FAP ad. Something I should think about. Let em know what you do.

Good Job.

Scott

• Mark Hunt
    W-M

Thanks for the compliment.

For gas fired steam, we use the EG series. Gotta' love the 3" taps!

For oil fired steam we use Burnham.

Mark H

• Mark Hunt
    Thanks Scott

You know your working on steam when the pipe wrenches weigh as much as one section of the boiler!

Darin lets me pipe the steamers.

Mark H

• Brad White_116
    Brad White_116 Member Posts: 9
    At some point

probably about the 3-inch mark, I would have a header welded up rather than screwed piping... but then compared to you, I must be a wimp!

Nice work, Mark! Clean, simple and I bet the owner does not know what he has been missing. Should be a smooth light-off.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,092
    excellent man

Excellent piping mark i love to a header that larger then speced or tapping not reduced the exiting steam velocity is probalby only 11 to 14 fps that's awesome the rad s probalby get hotter then before and she's quite .Excellent job you did your custermer a solid keep up the awesome work peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Mark Hunt
    Thanks Alex

We'll be using fiberglass pipe insulation just like he had on the old header.

The people that insulated this system did a great job.

Mark H

• Mark Hunt
    3\"

I have done so many EG boilers that I know what size nipples will make the swing joint and header. It really screws together quickly. The only threading done on this job was a couple pieces of 1.25" and 1.5" pipe.(Not counting the 1/2" gas line.)

Thanks Brad!

Mark H

• Mark Hunt
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    nice looking job..

very clean, not all cluttered..i like that..

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,092
    that's right mark

It's suppose to at the very least ,was this a single pipe or two looks like a single condensate flow same as steam flow ,where there any main air vents and one more question is that a wet or dry return behind the boiler just wondering again ace piping job around here it's hard to price them when everybodies doing copper or only all 2 pipe either they don't have the stuff to cut and thread bigger stuff or they just can't read and don't give a dam.I usually can get all my fittings and nipples up to 24 inches up to 4 inch with a phone call and a drive of 20 minutes but it's getting harder to get cast tee's so i usually go with black malable .I only break out the drive shaft and the 2 1/2 to 4 adjustable die and set the 400 up when there's larger mains to connect to and alot of nipples sometimes it makes life easier but the set up is killer .Again it's always great to see the steel peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Mark & Darin, another fine install

I have a question. How do you get the steam into the system? Did you carry buckets upside down?

Our hearts so stout have got us fame,
    For soon 'tis known from whence we came.
    Where'er we go they dread the name
    Of Garryowen in glory!

Rick
  • Mark Hunt
    One pipe

parallel flow system. Splits to two inch mains that wrap the perimeter. We replaced the main vents at each end.

The horizontal section of the return behind the boiler is dry so I dropped it below the new water line before I tied it together with the other return drop. It was high and dry on the system we removed.

As for the "copper heads", we have them here too. I have a few pictures of what happens to copper headers after a few years of operation. When I show them to potential customers, they SEE why this should not be done.

I'll probably order a couple copies of "We've got Steam" and give them to customers BEFORE they make a buying decision. I would also recommend sending potential customers here to get GOOD info before they make a buying decision. Makes a HUGE difference!

Thanks again Clammy and peace be unto you as well.

Edit: That water you see on the floor below the Hartford loop was from two leaky packing nuts on ball valves for the boiler feed.

Mark H

• Very nice install Mark and Darin

I like how you kept the equalizer full sized after the drop down . That's a critical area that most would go to a reducing ell right at the end . And all those drains I see for flushing and draining , makes keeping this baby clean much easier . What thread sealant are you using ? I've had some jobs with 3 inch pipes and bigger that had sporadic thread leaks using Teflon and Rectorseal . I'm looking for something that works better with higher temps and larger threads .

Were those Mueller valves that had the pack nut leaks ? We have to tighten 3 out of 4 on every job .

Great work guys .
  • J Resnick
    J Resnick Member Posts: 9
    Thread seal on 3\" or better

This from an old plumber, Pipe joint compound Lamp wick and pipe joint compound Works all the time.
    Good luck.
  • Mark Hunt
    Packing nuts

There were Nibco valves. My bad.

Teflon pipe dope. I flooded the header and ran it hot so that the Hydro-Solve would do it's job. No leaks. I do use Teflon tape from time to time with some type of pipe dope.

I also fired the boiler to steaming, no leaks.

I'd be a liar if I said I never had a leak. Thankfully they are few.

Thanks Ron!

Mark H

• Rich Reynolds
    Rich Reynolds Member Posts: 2
    Mark & Darin's W-M installation

Hi folks,
    I am the proud owner of the new W-M boiler that Mark & Darin installed for me. My old boiler sprung a leak back in June, so I started calling some local contractors for estimates. Prior to this, I had ordered Dan Holohan's trio of books on steam heat to educate myself on the nuances of steam. Of the two contractors I had called, one cancelled on me twice, and the other one was telling me things about the installation that didn't jive with what I had read in Dan's books. So I emailed Dan directly and asked him if he could recommend a steam installer in the area who wasn't a "knucklehead". He said "Call Mark Hunt". So I did, and I'm very glad that I did. Mark and Darin did a great job, and corrected some piping mistakes that had evidently created a lot of wet steam for me (all of my vents used to spit water). I would recommend them to anyone who is looking for true "steam experts" in the greater Albany-Schenectady-Troy area (NY)in a heartbeat. Thanks for the great job guys!
    -Rich Reynolds
  • Mark Hunt
    Thanks again Rich!

It has been a pleasure working for you!

Mark H

• Brad White_131
    Brad White_131 Member Posts: 17
    And THAT

is the kind of tribute that makes it worthwhile, Mr. Reynolds. It must be firing every so often these days, something to enjoy (as it were), the difference one year can make.

Mark and Darin are cool.

8^)>
  • Darin Cook_6
    Darin Cook_6 Member Posts: 41
    Thank You Rich!!

Always nice to be complimented by a customer. We thank you for the business. It actually makes our job easier when a customer has read Dan's books , we all play from the same sheet of music then. Happy Heating!!

P.S. It is still cooling season over here!!

TSGT Darin Cook
    Air Expeditionary Forces, Iraq
This discussion has been closed.