Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

It's the Simple Things in Life (WALLIE RALLY!)

Options
DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,528
Simple things are the best. I've sent Judy a check to support her in this. Who wants to join me?
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Judy Garber_2
    Judy Garber_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Its the Simple Things in Life

It is soon time for the 2nd Annual Care to Ride event to take place. It will be held at NOON, Monday, May 21st. I’m either riding the short ride or walking but I have a clear goal and that is to raise the most funds for Oil Heat Cares. This event isn’t about who rides or walks the fastest, it is about raising funds for OHC. Since I don’t have Dan as a competitor this year, I am challenging myself to raise the most money for OHC. I don’t like to ask the same people to support me, so I asked my fellow travelers from the ISH trip to support my efforts and they came thru by contributing a total of $2000.00. Since I now openly shared this amount, I’m reaching out to you Wallies to help further support my goal. I really, really want to surprise everyone on Tuesday night – will you help? Dan always says just ask and I must say he is right.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Judy is

the Goddess of Oil Heat. Who wants to walk with her in spirit?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2
    Dave Yates (GrandPAH)_2 Member Posts: 377
    Options
    Well....

You can add my speaker fees and the additional fee for photography at the banquet to the mix.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    That is so generous!

Thanks, Dave. I think you've got Life figured out.

Anyone else care to help?
    Retired and loving it.
    Options
    First hand look at OHC

Well, I've had lots of help along the way while wrestling with life's mysteries.

As for the spirit walk with Judy? I've seen the results of OHC first hand. In both cases, Judy asked if I'd be willing to photograph the installations. As a result, I was using my eyes and ears to focus (no pun intended) on the mix of wrench-turners (some of whom were office folks mixing in with field technicians - lots of good banter overheard there!) and homeowners/children who really needed the help.

We tend to overlook the dire straights lots of folks face when times are hard and there's little or no money for such basic necessities - like heating a home. We don't see it because it occurs behind a home's door - out of sight. Suffering like that is often done in silence because folks are embarrassed to ask for help. Both of the projects I photographed came about as the result of someone knowing about someone else needing the help and contacting NAOHSM to ask if those in need qualified for OHC. Friends helping friends hook-up with new friends who give up a day of their lives to lend a helping-hand. As you've often said, the only thing that separates us is about six paychecks.

Being the observer looking for that one great shot gave me a perspective unique to the installations. The admiration and inquisitive looks from small to medium sized children as big burly men go about the business of installing new heating equipment is fun to see, but watching these same burly hulks melt like butter at an August picnic while squatting down to get hugs is priceless. I'm more convinced than ever that extending help by sharing your skills in humanitarian ways grants the giver more joy than it does the receivers, although you wouldn't know that by seeing the parents' tears of joy at project's end when it's time to say good-by.

See attached pics to get the "feel" for an OHC project.

Does a heart good.
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Beautifully said.

Would anyone else like to help with this?
    Retired and loving it.
  • Ruthe Jubinville_2
    Ruthe Jubinville_2 Member Posts: 674
    Options
    where do I send a check?

I am in. .. Ruthe
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    Thanks! Send your check to

Judy Garber

c/o Oil Heat Cares

P.O. Box 67

East Petersburg, PA 17520

Thanks for making a difference, and for helping a friend.
    Retired and loving it.
    Options
    two things to know about OHC

It's a 501C3 charitable contribution that's tax deductable, so it's nice to know you can make Uncle Sam give you back a bit of what you're giving(G).

And - OHC doesn't ask for free stuff - they pay their way. A number of manufacturers have stepped up once they get in-the-spirit & donate stuff, which would be a great way to participate today!
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Options
    Done!

Judy and OHC are well worth a helping hand. Make me miss the East coast even more....

Paul

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • DanHolohan
    Options
    And believe me,

the East Coast misses you!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jim Bennett
    Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
    Options
    I'm in....

Can't do a lot but they say every bit helps :)

Jim

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• DanHolohan
    Options
    It sure does.

Thanks so much, Jim.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Judy Garber_2
    Judy Garber_2 Member Posts: 5
    Options

Thank you to those of you who are offering to support me financially with the upcoming Care to Ride (walk) event in Hershey, May 21st and also thank you for thinking about Oil Heat Cares and passing along the help that OHC can provide to people in your neighborhoods. I am at the front of the line when it comes to the request for aid. Sometimes the person in need is simply a customer, sometimes its a neighbor that is financially straped because of illness or loss of work or sometimes it is someone from your church or someone you work with. So continue spreading the word about OHC - and if you really want to feel good about your talents volunteer your time to help on a project or even spearhead a project. It is an amazing feeling to give back. Again thank you everyone.
This discussion has been closed.