Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

warning-cleaning a steam boiler

gerry gill
gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
on the truck just for that..when i have the burners out for cleaning i look up at the heat exchangers with a mirror..looking for soot, leaks, anything out of the ordinary..

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=360&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>
gwgillplumbingandheating.com
Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

Comments

• Gino
    Gino Member Posts: 4
    cleaning out a steam boiler-a warning

I have a Weil McClain steam boiler that stopped working. I went to the house to check on it and everytime I turned it on Black clouds of smoke come out of it. This unit was just serviced. Black clouds of smoke mean no air/exhaust. I checked the flue and chimmey and all was fine. I took the unit apart and found the interior vent passages were full of debris (soot, ect) Afer three hours of cleaning I put it all back together again and it seems to work fine. This unit was just serviced so here is my warning/question. How many service men actually take the time to check the vent passages in steam boilers? Scary!
  • ed wallace
    ed wallace Member Posts: 1,613
    service

what did the original service consist of if it was a full tuneup then the serviceman did not do a proper job hopefully he installed the corect nozzle

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Gino

I'd go back and find out why it sooted up.

If it did it once, it will do it again, only this time you were the last person to service it.

Did you check the gas pressure?

Did you check draft?

Is this a modern boiler that has TFE's (spill switch & roll out)

Does the appliance have enough combustion air?

There are only three ways I know of that would cause this sooting.

Lack of combustion air.
    Blocked (or partially blocked flue)
    Incorrect gas pressure.

Please, go back and check again. If you cannot reasonable diagnose this condition I'd either find a pro on this site or call the local utility.

THIS IS IMPORTANT!!! You may be putting the lives of everyone in that building at risk.

Please go back.

Robert O'Connor/NJ
This discussion has been closed.