Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Quietside Boiler

miruca
miruca Member Posts: 10
Any experience with Quietside Boilers?

My plumbing contractor is steering me away from Quietsidet and to a Weil Mclain - but I don't know whether that is because the WM's are standard in this town and therefore easy for him to install/repair OR whether it's because the boiler has problems.

Comments

• Mike Norgan_3
    Mike Norgan_3 Member Posts: 105
    quietside water heater

As far as I know they don't have a H stamp.

Mike Norgan
  • Ron Schroeder_3
    Ron Schroeder_3 Member Posts: 254
    quietside boilers

are clearly identified as water HEATERS at: http://www.quietside.com/html/quietside.html.

In Canada Lennox advertises them as Wall-Mount Boilers in their Spring and Summer 2005 catalog.

Who you gonna believe?
  • JimmyJam
    JimmyJam Member Posts: 78
    Quietside

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Quietside! We installed (2)a couple of years ago and could not keep them running. We removed both of them and replaced with Munchies and have had no trouble since.
  • Joe Brix
    Joe Brix Member Posts: 626
    they are combo units

the wall hungs have a HX coil built in. The oil units have a small reserve tank. But just like the Korean cars: getting parts is very difficult. When your heating system dies in the middle of the coldest night of the winter, you want a system with generic parts and controls that most service techs would have.
  • miruca

71Gibby- even tho I've looked on several boards.. you are the first person who actually had experience with Quietside! Finally!

Thanks for the info & cautions. I wrote the company to see if they had someone in the Seattle area but they do not have much there ... so that would mean that use of Quietside is not widespread in the Pacific Northwest probably.. and I"m further north than that!
  • Tundra
    Tundra Member Posts: 93

I am starting to see the Quietside locally so I decided to be proactive and get a service manual. I called them and explained what I wanted. "No problem, we'll send one right out" they said helpfully. When I received the installation manual I called tech support back and again requested a service manual. "I'm so sorry, I know exactly what you want, I'll put it in the mail today" he said politely. I can't tell you how pleased I was to receive the trouble shooting guide, now I know to make sure there is fuel in the tank. With no tech support that I can detect I predect that one of these days I will get a call where the Quiteside is totally quiet and the HO is not.
  • S Davis
    S Davis Member Posts: 491
    Quietside

I will second the hard to get parts, I beleive they use a step-up trans in the unit and run on a odd voltage I think 230v.
    I had one in Mount Vernon WA that would not heat domestic water it had plenty of flow through the coil but only about two minutes of hot water, they sent a Takagi water heater to the customer for us to install.

S Davis

Apex Radiant Heating
  • miruca

I've followed up on some leads and found out some more re Quietside. According to the distributor, it is a heater not a boiler because it is limited to 176 degrees - whereas a boiler can go up to 220 degrees. It therefore doesn't have to meet the AMSE (sp?) requirements ...causing it to be limited to residental vs commercial installationgs.

Again, according to distibutor, about 200 have been installed in Alaska & they have a small % of followup calls or problems with them.

The distributor gave me a local company they've shipped to here to call. I did. They were originally excited about the Quietside and they are definitely QUIET. Installed about 20 - they've had problems with about 50% of those. It took 3 weeks to get a part (Korea to NJ to Alaska). Even tho the installation instructions say they pull in oil... they don't... unless the oil tank is HIGHER than the Quietside or requires a booster pump. They are made of thin stainless steel vs cast iron. There are a number of standard parts that don't come as part of the package: pressure gauge, pressure release valve, circulation pump.

So ... it was a great attempt at alternative technolgy that just isn't working out from this dealers perspective.

Darn!
  • miruca

I've followed up on some leads and found out some more re Quietside. According to the distributor, it is a heater not a boiler because it is limited to 176 degrees - whereas a boiler can go up to 220 degrees. It therefore doesn't have to meet the AMSE (sp?) requirements ...causing it to be limited to residental vs commercial installationgs.

Again, according to distibutor, about 200 have been installed in Alaska & they have a small % of followup calls or problems with them.

The distributor gave me a local company they've shipped to here to call. I did. They were originally excited about the Quietside and they are definitely QUIET. Installed about 20 - they've had problems with about 50% of those. It took 3 weeks to get a part (Korea to NJ to Alaska). Even tho the installation instructions say they pull in oil... they don't... unless the oil tank is HIGHER than the Quietside or requires a booster pump. They are made of thin stainless steel vs cast iron. There are a number of standard parts that don't come as part of the package: pressure gauge, pressure release valve, circulation pump.

So ... it was a great attempt at alternative technolgy that just isn't working out from this dealers perspective.

Darn!
  • miruca

Darn!
This discussion has been closed.