Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ADJUSTING ROTORY CUP BURNERS

I HAVE 3 RAY BURNERS OLD AS METHUZALA. NOT SURE OF THE MODEL. ALL 3 HAVE VISCOSITY VALVES,WITH ADJUSTMENT SCREWS
ON THE FRONT CASTING. PROBLEM #1. DO I ADJUST THE VISCOSITY CONTROL VALVE TO BOOST PRESSURE? ONE BURNER HAS A HARD TIME SEEING THE MAIN FLAME. THE ONLY THING THAT IS DIFF. IS THE READING ON TOP OF THIS VALVE. BURNERS #1&#2 SHOW 48 PSIG.ON THEIR GAUGES,#3 HAS 30 PSIG.AND IT'S FLAME IS ERRATIC,CAUSING THE FLAME SIGNAL TO DROP. THE GAUGES ARE LOCATED TOP CENTER OF THE VISCOSITY CONTROL VALVES.
PROBLEM #2 I HAVE A SEAL LEAK ON THE OIL PUMP.THE OIL PUMPS ALL HAVE A FORK WITH A TENSION SPRING THAT PUSHES AGAINST A COLLAR THAT HOLDS THE SEAL AND PUTS PRESSURE ON THE SEAL. Repacked with what I thought went in there, but there is still a slow drip. Is there anyone who knows about old rotary cup # 6 burners????

Comments

• John

I have some really old stuff here on Ray rotary cup oil burners, but it would take me hours to go through-it,,have you tried over at Oil Tech Talk ?
    Someone there should be more versed to help you than myself.

Dave
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

welcome to the Dark ages ---i still have some Prefered Rotaries i work on --- yes -People there are still many of the dinosaurs out there ----its been a while with the visco boxs with the screws --1 screw changes the volume the other screw adjusts the pressure --change your pressure guage then turn 1 screw couple of turns (count them so they go back where they were) if your pressure doesn't go up with either 1 -your pump might be bad --or slipping if the oil is too hot ---disconnect the power to the mod motor so you can adjust low fire --when low fire is stable then let it modulate . honestly there are a bunch of little things that could be going on ---it could be the "tubes" in the relay getting weak--low flame signal ,it could be in the relays contacts (of course this only applies to the cam relays,and old Fireye tube relays) it could be a problem with the refractory ,draft,the visco head,the lower windbox,the floor bricks,oil temp-viscocity ,,,---how about some history on the units -----and a picture would help alot
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

get the model # and a couple of pictures ,,Oh yeah if that oil pump is bad , or the visco box your in for some serious money for replacement -------i've changed many of the Rays when the pumps replacement cost went up ---though i may have some old parts around -------
  • oil-2-4-6-gas

Hope you can help this guy, I saw his lone post and knew you`d be around.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.