Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Peerless TW-3 Hot-water Boiler (Steamhead)

Joe Grosso
Joe Grosso Member Posts: 307
had roughly the same room between the sections as my Burnham V-14. Getting a brush in there was not a problem at all. Of course, you have to actually slide the brush in between the sections, which I guess is too much work for some...... same as setting the burner up properly so it won't plug the boiler with soot in the first place. What a mess that was.....

There were some tracks under the coil plate but when I fired it nothing leaked. Maybe the gasket was replaced at some point.

Otherwise, it looked and ran fine. The installation and piping were nowhere near as good as yours, but at least they hooked the expansion tank to the air eliminator tapping. We're planning to do some upgrades later.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Joe Grosso
    I don't see many Peerless units....

Lady wanted to know how old this one is and I haven't a clue. There's no "JO" on the tag but it looks a lot like a JOT-TW100 (from a 1984 Peerless catalog I have), same rated 1 GPH firing rate. Pin-type heat exchanger, don't know what burner it had originally but it now has an obviously retrofitted Beckett AFG firing 0.75-80-W into a new chamber, 84.5% combustion efficiency as measured on the Testo.

Several people have told her to replace it, but it looks to me like a pretty current design. With those numbers and the fact that it looks like it's in decent shape I have a hard time telling her to replace. Thanks in advance for any input.
  • M. McDonnell
    M. McDonnell Member Posts: 3
    Peerless JOT-TW Boilers

Sir: The JO/JOT-TW Series ran from 1985 to 1994. If you have a serial number we can tell the age of the unit. Beckett AFG was standard on the TW version.
  • Joe Grosso
    Thanks

> Sir: The JO/JOT-TW Series ran from 1985 to 1994.

> If you have a serial number we can tell the age

> of the unit. Beckett AFG was standard on the TW

> version.

• Joe Grosso
    Thanks!

Early to mid '80s is what I thought. The burner has been replaced on this one, and once it was properly cleaned and set up it ran beautifully. I don't think we'll be tearing this one out any time soon.

Interestingly, the 1984 catalog I have says the JOT/TW series originally had (slightly-modified according to one of the guys on OTT) AF burners which Peerless called the model "FH". But I'm told the AFG is a much better match, and with the test results I got, I agree.
  • Frank

We saw a whole batch of too tight JOTs from 1985 , they didn't leave enough clearance between the sections and pins . Peerless made good by replacing each and every one . I started in 1986 and I think I changed maybe 20 or 30 that year . A great learning experience using the power handtruck too .

Other than that problem year , the JOT and it's twin , the ECT , have been outstanding performers for us . I personally like the Riello firing in them , but I'm sure the Beckett will give the same results . How did the coil plate look ? That's the weak link on these and I wish they would extend the coil out of the block like Burnham does .
This discussion has been closed.