Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil Truck Driver

Mijola
Mijola Member Posts: 124
I just retired from a city job and want to work during the winter months. How would I go about becoming an oil truck delivery driver. Thanks.

Comments

• jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Job Application

at local oil companys ?? I would think an experienced driver such as yourself would not have a problem.
  • Mijola
    Mijola Member Posts: 124

I don't have any experience driving an oil truck my other job was as a police officer. Do oil companies train or do I have to go to a commercial truck school??
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    CDL

Russ--I would think you would need a comm. drivers license
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452

You need a class "B" license with Tank endorsement.Truck school unless you have a buddy who drives that will teach you.
  • EJW
    EJW Member Posts: 321
    Oil Driver

You need CDL class B with Hazmat & tank endorsement. I would call around to several companies and ask what they do. Some will train you so you can get your licence. Riding with a experienced delivery driver will teach you alot more than a school. Especially if theres snow on the ground. EJW
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    honestly i think that you'd need some experience at it....

and how do you get experience ? :) ....Maybe go down and get a cdl ,and then take a course to pass the hazmat certification,...then maybe go see about renting a large truck that has water in it and drive it around a while full, then pump off some water to about 1/2 way and drive it around some more up and down steep hills and winding driveways,try turning the truck around in pinner driveways up at the top of a hill,let some more water off so you have like a 1/4 tank and drive it around a while , drive by one of the places yiou were thinking of getting employed,keep it in 1 an 1 in the yard,see if the guys still hiring and then say oops gotta get the truck back :) see if you can arrange for an appointment later :)...take the truck back from where ever you rented it....show back at the perspective employer and see if the guy will hire you :)
  • tommyoil
    tommyoil Member Posts: 613
    Food for thought

Russ,
    One of our dispatchers is a retired police officer. I'm sure you're familiar with that end of the business. Just a thought. Oil delivery is no day at the beach.
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    That sounds

like the Walmart School of Shopping Cart Driving course.
  • John_78
    John_78 Member Posts: 1
    insurance & experience

No first hand knowledge, but I've worked trying to find jobs for a couple of guys with newly minted CDL's. Insurance becomes an issue of the catch-22 variety. "Can't hire you 'til you've got experience." Have seen some companies pair newbies with veterans. Had to search for 'em, though.

Same problem really with trades - a small business is often afraid to bet on me if I'm a rank amateur. A friend said he used to check with his lawyer before making business decisions; now he goes to his insurance agent....
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    :) does. dont it *~/:)

and some degree of obfuscation of the lines of reality :) still, rolling around in a similar vehicle does tend to give one the idea of some of the minor technicalities before taking it out on the company truck :)
  • Boiler Guy
    Boiler Guy Member Posts: 585
    You have

a point there. I have had my CDL for many years and still enjoy the opportunity of taking "driving holidays". However the calibre of many drivers today leaves A LOT to be desired. It is not much of a stretch to see why a lot of newbies reinforce the term "cowboy". The size of the vehicle DOES NOT matter! If some of them live long enough to survive a few scrapes without injuring themselves or others they might develop an appreciation of the skill required to safely and courteously to be a truly proffessional driver. Six to eight weeks is only enough time to make most people dangerous. Did any of us trades people become "a proffessional" in that time frame? I think not!! My advice: research and explore, take some objective training and practice, practice, practice ..... and just when you think you know .... you find out you don't! As a former cop, I am sure you will agree. Best of luck with your endevours. Been there, done that. JMHO
  • jerry scharf_2
    jerry scharf_2 Member Posts: 414
    Geez

Russ,

If the driving tests you did are anything like what my friend went through in California, adjusting for a bigger truck should be a breeze. Never seen anyone else run a tight slolam backwards at 40 MPH in an open parking lot. When he was done, he walked the tire marks and point out every error he made. He said he would have passed, but barely.

Someone should be able to give you a ride. Trading stories would make it a good time for both of you.

jerry
This discussion has been closed.