Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Please Recommend a good gas to radiator boiler system

DC14
DC14 Member Posts: 7
I would like steel or cast iron push nipples and sturdy system that will last without problems. i am a single mom and DO NOT WANT ANY PROBLEMS! It is difficult to find reviews and or prices online for boilers??? Please help, I need good suggestions. THANK YOU@

Comments

• DC14
    just want to add

my contractor suggested a Green Mountain Dunkirk ECR...is this a good system? Please give me some suggestions of others or better systems...Thank you much!
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Type?

Is this a forced hot water system or a steam system?

Has a heat loss been done on the house yet?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Best boiler

The winner is one installed by the most competent installer, who will choose a make with a stocking distributor in your area, for future ease in obtaining spare parts.

That installer will have done a heat-loss survey., and an analysis of domestic hot water usage to size the new boiler. You can do such a survey by using the software on the SlantFin website.

Further he will follow the manufacturer's instructions for the Installation of the boiler, and also be aware of this website.

What has happened to the old boiler? If you are converting to gas, the old oil boiler may only need a gas burner installed, along with appropriate chimney upgrades.--NBC
  • DC14
    Its a gas boiler with water system

My old boiler is 55+ years old and needs to be replaced and I want to go with something secure with push nipples and the ability to use it later for a hot water tank attachment.
  • DC14
    The old boiler

it is over 55 years old and it is a non gravity flow but I am seeing rust on the inside and don't want to risk another cold winter
  • DC14
    I would like to know if this GMGW is a good boiler?

Gas fired green mountain GMGW-145 hydronic water boiler
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Internet reviews

Why do you think you are going to find a review on the internet that will tell you which boiler to buy? All you will get is folks that have an issue with a misinstalled boiler or marketer pimping there product

Cast Iron boilers have been around forever and by design they are very dependable if installed correctly.

Nearly every manufacture in the country makes a solid dependable cast iron boiler. debating which one is better is like deciding between a Ford and a Chevy.

The real  question is whether you can find an installer who knows what they are doing?

A knucklehead installer can screw up a boiler just like a bad mechanic will screw up you car.

Find a good contractor who will do a heat loss calculation and install the correctly sized boiler per the manufacture instructions then have them install the boiler they are most comfortable with.

When it comes to cast iron,It's not about the boiler. It's all about the installer.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Zman

hit it right on the head .  A boiler is like a pot , you can heat water in it , what and how you use that water is a different thing entirely . If your contractor cannot move that heat (energy) properly it does not matter what "pot you use to heat the fluid " .  Dunkirk cast iron boilers are very good boilers by the way .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Inside rust

It does seem that you have had a nice long life in that boiler. Is the rust from condensation of the flue gases, or a leak?--NBC
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Indirect tank

Once the heat-loss is done for the home you do not need to increase the size of the boiler for your future indirect hot water tank, just size the boiler for the connected load and come back to THE WALL when you are ready to size the domestic tank. Ask your contractor about "outdoor air reset", if he doesn't know what it is, find a new contractor.

Rob
  • DC14
    Thank You

Your comments make sense, and I feel a lot better since I have an experienced installer. I am glad to hear that the boiler is solid. Thank you again. D