Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looking to make condensate neutralizer

Ted_9
Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
Anyone know what material I can use. I plan on using pvc to make a resevour or trap. But what is used to nuetralize the condensate and where could it be purchased.

PATRIOT HEATING & COOLING, INC.

Comments

• Grumpy_2
    Grumpy_2 Member Posts: 82
    neutralizer

Ted, I don't know if this would be relevant,but for chemical waste neutralizers I have used crushed limestone in the PVC collector basin. It is what is recommended for acid waste from chemistry labs in schools. Might work for you too.
  • Darin Cook_3
    Darin Cook_3 Member Posts: 389
    Ted

We have used marble chips. Let me tell you, one bag will last a long long time. Just out of curiosity, what are you using it on?

Darin
  • Ted_9

I want to start using them on condensing boiler condensate. Treating it before it goes into the waste system, old or new caste iron draining etc.

• Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 764

Here is a photo of one where I used it for 2 Trinity units. I used limestone rocks used it landscaping. I also put clean out plugs in the top and bottom so I could clean it out and add more stone. I have no idea how long the stones will last. The way I made it, the condensate sits in the limestone rather than running through it like others I have seen.

Dave in Denver
    Dave Stroman
  • Constantin
    Constantin Member Posts: 3,796
    I like Mike T's system...

Take a big rubber tub, fill it with limestone, etc. then let the condensate flow in one end, out the other. While such systems may not look as professional as some of the product offerings out there, they should perform just fine and at much lower cost.

I would be interested to know how long it takes an average rubbermaid 8
    gallon unit
    to be emptied of limestone... I bet it'll take a long time...
  • Ted_9

So limestone can be used. I may have heard of marble chips being used too. This may cost more though, not sure. I was thinking of using 2" or 3" piece of pvc with wyes and end clean outs, reducing fittings etc to make this and maybe hang it on the wall under the unit. I'll try it out on my own house. I'm installing a Munchkin T80 with vision one and an indirect for my tenant. Pictures soon to follow.

So, limestone, found at local garden supply?
  • Mark Eatherton1
    Mark Eatherton1 Member Posts: 2,542
    I use...

a 5 gallon bucket filled with white crushed landscaping marble. I bring the condensate into the bottom through a submerged pipe, and allow it to filter up through the rocks, then have a side tapping through the walls of the bucket to carry the waste to the sewer. Don't forget to throw some copper sulfate crystals in there to keep the tree roots at bay...

All in all, less than 10$ invested, and a life expectancy that is unknown.

ME

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    SisterSleuth
  • hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    You might try the local

concrete redi mix plants. Limestone is often used for their mixes. I had a Voyager condensate tube pull away from the drain. The condensate flowed across a concrete floor to the floor drain. Cut a nice groove into the concrete in a years time!

I think either marble or limestone chips or stones would work to buffer that ph. Contact time is important, better than a flow through, I feel.

Try a store that sell pet and fish supplies. They often have small bags of marble chips for aquariums. Colorful too! Or a counter top manufacture shop, or a place that makes monuments and gravestones :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    pictures?

Have any pictures of your condensate neutralizer setup Mark?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    another homeade

Bought 3" clear PVC online from US plastics. They sell short lengths. Glued into a 3" plugged closet flange, and a 1" MIP adapter glued up top for the drain out. You can watch it work, if ever you bet bored.

That is about a years worth of work on the limestone rocks.

In the summer I dump my AC condensate line into it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Hilly
    another question

That is quit sharp. It's nice to see what some other people can think up... A wonderful age we live in. Thanks for the response. As always I really appreciate it.

Side question.... Would the condensate from a mini-split or heat pump system create the same potential havoc that the condensate from a gas fired condensing device does?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
    No

Your boiler condinsation is an acid from your exhaust flew gases and your aie-conditioning is condensation from humidity
  • TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    I use A 1-1/2 drum trap

with the plug up and fill it with calcite. Calcite is crushed limestone used to fill water neutralizers available where you purchase water treatment equipment.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    I've made them up to 4" PVC

Whatever length you want to use. A cap at the bottom, a female adapter with plug at the top. Drill and 1/2" pipe thread the double wall of the cap/pipe and pipe/adapter and 1/2" by barbed fittings to whatever you want to do...or you can pump it over to your neighbors tomatoes. Tomatoes like the acidity;) that would work on blueberries too.

Back in the mid eighties I had a guy call me to go look at a condensing oil furnace he had bought and installed. He only put a supply air plenum on it strapped to the floor joist. There was no return air or condensate drain. The condensate ran onto his new concrete floor. I got the call at the end of the heating season and ran up to check it out. The homeowner met me at the door and told me he would only accept a new furnace to replace the defective unit. The bottom 12ga base and 4" or so of the cabinet was just gone. As well, his new 4" slab was about 2-2 1/2" thick about a 5' radius around the furnace. The aggregate looked like it had gone through a rock polisher. At least he had strapped the furnace to the floor joists so it didn't fall over. Gas condensate is about 3.2Ph where oils is about 2.8-2.9Ph. Pretty hot!
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Drum Trap

I made one using a 1 !/2" drum trap filled with marble chips. Looks and works great-
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Here's a Photo-

Sorry for sideways picture-
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    I have done the same...

one thing I would suggest is that you let the hose from the boiler sit inside the pipe and not be sealed up tight. If a blockage develops you very well could/ will have the condensate back up into the boiler and create a lockout or damage.
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    edited July 2014
    Home made acid neutralizer.

This is how we do it.
  • Hilly
    softener salt rocks?

No marble chips, limestone or choral rock in my city. Must have went to and called 10-20 places in total. Would 'salt rock' for water softener systems bring up the PH levels enough? I know salt is neutral but it will bring acid and alkaline PH levels closer to neutral.
  • I like

A drum trap with the clean out plug on top, so you can monitor and replace marble chips.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Hilly
    Still Lost

I found Limestone Pellets that are quite small at one place. I'm afraid they could clump together and clog the drain. Is that a possibility. I'm still only down to finding Rock Salts and any sort of neutralizer, but am unsure if they'll work. It's terrible in you live in the middle of nowhere (well when it comes to anything related to heating that I take on) and you can't find what appear to be everyday products for everyone here.

I called everyone 'water treatment' expert and the best I get is why do you want that, I explain and they say "oh by'e I can't help ya with 'dat one" Well I'm slightly lying because one chemical company had a 'liquid lime injection system" but he said that would be far too elaborate for my needs.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Where you at?

ISTR it might be someplace in Canada?
  • Hilly
    edited July 2014
    East Coast

Newfoundland, yes Canada

Everything is hard to get here. You can buy 6 circs here. 15-58, 15-42 and some bell and gossett. Any BB or Alpha I've had to special order. Now that I've got a few the turn around is only 1 day, 2 if I order it late in the afternoon, that is if they don't have one there for me already. I ordered some Callefi items because, well there **** is cool and I had no time sensitivity about getting them and really wanted to try there stuff plus it was to be a non-heating season fix up. Placed the wonderful order got some neat stuff.... 5 weeks later the supplier calls me and says we need a $2000 minimum order to activate an account, so would you like anymore items. 5 WEEKS!! to tell me no you can't have any. But after that the min would be waived I believe.

Blah... hope that made sense and entertained.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Axiom is not that far from you

IMO they make some of the best designed condensate neutralizers (and they also sell media) http://www.axiomind.com/