Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Radiant System

RiderSK
RiderSK Member Posts: 6
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with AIM Radiant systems. I am seriously looking to purchase a Boiler in a box solution from them, complete with panel and steel column rads. The prices I have been quoted locally are insane (supply and demand).

I am in the higher end of the DIY scale. Did my own Radiant in the garage.

They have recommended a Zone system and per room thermostats. I will group some up to run off one thermostat where it makes sense. I am also running home runs of HEPex to each Rad.

I am taking out my steam system as the boiler require repairs and there are very few around here that actually know steam. When I was talking to one of the top steam guys in town (only three companies that actually KNOW steam in the city) I told him I have read all of Dan's steam books - he figured I know more than most of the so called Steam guys in town.

One reputable company quoted me a new smaller boiler based on my total square footage! My load calculations actually showed that my boiler output was right on. I gave them the boot as some many here have said before! I did get a quote from them for $13000.00!

Anyway, I have been pleased with what AIM has done as far as the up front design process, but was just looking for a bit of feedback on anyone's experiences with them,

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Boiler

What city? You obviously have not found a true steam professional.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    No Way!

I quick look at the website says it all.http://www.aimradiantheating.com/store/insulation.html

These guys are still pedaling Foil insulation and plateless staple up, it's like 1990 all over again.

What the heck it an Inferno boiler/water heater thing? Try buying parts for that one.

Their installation photos are hysterical. 300' lengths, no pressure test and spaghetti.

They certainly have enough circulators in their designs.

If you are serious about this as a DYI, get someone to do a real design based on your actual heat loss calc. Use a real modulating/condensing boiler. You will have to pay for the design, It is worth it.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • RiderSK
    edited July 2014
    Hi,

I am located in Regina Saskatchewan Canada. The economy here is booming and most companies won't even give me a quote as they can make more doing the quick forced air stuff than a big conversion. The bigger guys have stopped doing residential altogether, but have been very helpful in referring me and giving advice. The Steam experts here and the none residential guys have been very forward in telling me to take it in the gut and convert now.

AIM did do the heat loss calculation (as did I) and have been very upfront and responsive to my technical questions. I provided floor plans and measurements (yes I have my own floor plans - electrical, and plumbing plans) My problem or discomfort is I am just learning the Hydronic technology. That is why I felt they would be a good choice as they do the design and put together the head end (make it pretty and technically put together correctly)

I completely believe in paying a reasonable price for design. I did that for my garage in floor. Then I did the install.

My problem here is the reasonable price! AIM is providing all components except the piping for less than the quotes I got for just the head end equipment.

One of my questions - what is better on a new install with home runs to each panel radiator- separate zones per room with thermostats or TRV's. I am able to run wire to every room where I want separate zones.

As a thanks for your comments I am attaching a picture I took of a hot water tank recently. We were at a large Scout camp in a remote area and the head quarters had this as the hot water source! No this is not a STILL! It is Propane heated Hope you enjoy this!
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Zoning

TRVs with Bypasses and constant circulation . 
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Zman
    Correctly

Just because a company builds a website and starts selling stuff, that does not mean it is done correctly.

Many of the details depicted on their website are flat out wrong.

I think buying a boiler like the inferno is a mistake. Sure it's less expensive. Taking a non condensing boiler and putting it in a low temp environment without proper controls is a recipe for failure.

I think you would be better off buying a quality condensing boiler and installing it per manufactures printed instructions. The suggestion of panel radiators with TRVs is a good one. You can't go wrong by running home runs to each one.

As far as AIM having a less expensive product.They are providing a lower quality product. If you take the cost of the cheapo boiler out of the picture, I seriously doubt they are any cheaper.I would heat with the water heater in your picture before I would consider an inferno.
    Albert Einstein
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Design

Try contacting Rob at Northeast Radiant Technologies (it's not me). He is very good at what you are trying to do. Most people here will agree with me.

http://nrtradiant.com/

Rob
  • Rich_49
    Rob

is no longer at NRT RobG . A simple search could probably locate him though .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    NRTRob

I was wondering why he stopped posting, any idea where he is or what he is doing?
  • Rich_49
    Rob Brown

Design Manager at Rockport Mechanical in Lewiston Maine
    732-751-1560
  • RiderSK

Hi,

Thanks for all the good advice guys. I have been tied up the last couple of days.

My frustration around here has been with contractors being too busy to quote or quoting without doing a heat loss on the steam or hydronic. One guys told me there was no way you could heat my house with hydronic and still condense! So he quoted me a smaller steam boiler by using an approx. total sq footage.

I have one more company I contacted via a reference from someone. I am running out of time and need to get the show on the road.

From the AIM standpoint though, I am told the boiler is a mod/con min 91% operating and higher when condensing. They have a good warranty of the product as well. They also insisted on a heat loss calculation, which only one company here attempted.

The big question in my mind is - would the overall design work efficiently and provide a nice balanced heat that my steam did or better? I just have not seen any comments on posts positive or negative.
  • Zman
    AIM

The highest efficiency claimed on the website is 86%

Do you have specs on the boiler they are proposing? Unless they are providing you a government test rating like DOE rating, the numbers are likely BS.

Can you post the type of panel design they are proposing? If you use the staple up design they depict on their site you will never condense, it may not even heat. If you do an inslab or aluminum plate design you will easily condense.

I think you would be better off updating your steam system than doing a budget radiant install.
    Albert Einstein