Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kitec transition

Hilly
Hilly Member Posts: 427
So insurance companies are reluctant to give insurance to home owners with new policies if a home has Kitec piping installed. The purchaser and vendor have an agreement to have the piping removed and replaced with pex piping and to then split the cost of all the work required. Here's the catch... It's a heating job with staple and on main floor but the basement is in slab. The insurer has agree to offer insurance if everything is replaced except the in-slab and as much of the leaders and and exposed piping to and from the slab are addressed.

Here's the question... Would another companies Pex-Al-Pex fittings be acceptable to make the transition. ie. pex-al-pex X fnpt adpert or another or combination of pex-al-pexXsomething to make an appropriate transition?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Ceiling

Sorry this is not answering your question.

Why not replace the staple up with an aluminum plate system then install a radiant ceiling below.

I am looking at a project like that right now.

All the Kitec and gremmlins from the original install would go away. You have the ceiling open anyway.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    slab stuff only

The staple up will all be replaced. It is to transition 4 3/4" Leaders (2 Supply and 2 Return) to remotely placed manifolds in the basement level. Each of these leaders are routed through the slab. Yes it'll only mean I'm removing approx. 10' of kitec in totally on those lines. But that's the request... I'm just curious if their's a pex-al-pex fitting that I can use in it. Theoretically it makes sense that any pex-al-pex fitting that is available should do the trick but I was looking for confirmation. I know there's no guarantee, but I don't want it to fail because I used a non-compatible fitting.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    Kitec to pex couplings?

I think I could work up some compression to compression couplings. We use to supply the brass manifolds to WarmRite/ Kitec so I know our PAP fitting was approved and seals well.

Our fitting has a captive isolation washer. Some feel the aluminum barrier failed due to electrolysis at the brass to aluminum if that washer was not installed. They also have dual o-rings for inside, and a nose o-ring to seal to the coupling or manifold.

All of our fittings are designed to fit tube that is out of spec ID or OD, or even a slight oval shape. Both our inside and outside fitting pieces are tapered to handle some small out of tolerance issues. Hense the "universial" fitting name.

Do you need 1/2 and 3/4" I'll need to round up the center part of the coupling, I know we have the tube fitting that fits manifolds.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream