Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Moving a radiator to put floor down

ChrisJ
ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
I'm looking for some ideas on how to move two of my radiators so I can put a floating floor down.  I don't need to move them far, but do need a way to get them up onto the new section of floor once it's done without destroying it.

I've included two of the best pictures I have on hand, though they are a few years old.

No idea what these weight but something tells me they aren't light, one is 55sqft and the other 60sqft if memory serves..  Perhaps around 500lbs each?  Would a hand truck work?
Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,168
    Assuming...

that you are planning to disconnect them, your best bet is a heavy duty furniture dolly.  They have casters on all four corners, and you would raise the radiator up, balance on the dolly -- they're pretty good size, so that's not hard, wheel it out of the way, then bring it back.

Rinse and repeat.

That said... that floating floor is going to raise the radiators.  Be sure and check to see that they can, in fact, be reconnected without too much trouble, and that the pipe pitches will still be OK.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    edited July 2014
    Dolly

Hi Jamie,

Thanks for responding.

How do I get the radiator onto the dolly though?  That's going to be the hard part as well as taking it back off.

The floor should raise the radiator around 10mm.  These two radiator's runouts luckily run between joists rather than across so I should have plenty of movement.  If not, I'll be cutting, hammering, maybe swearing and removing the verticle pipes and getting slightly longer ones threaded so not too big of a deal.

On my runouts that run across joists typically they are either almost touching, or are touching the last joist so that would've meant extending them for sure.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Floor jack?

Some floor jacks sit pretty low so possibly jack it up and slide a dolly under it?  Another option could be to lever it up with an old pipe or something?  Make sure to put a piece of plywood or something under the end so you don't destroy the floor.  Something else, depending on the type of floating floor be very careful when you put those rads back.  I have installed thousands of sq ft. of flooring (hard wood and floating) some of those floating floors aren't as good as others.  In my parents house we installed bamboo over the concrete slab.  The flooring dents if you look at it wrong even though bamboo is very hard (which it is).  The problem is it is basically made like plywood and the layers under the top bamboo layer are white pine which is very soft for this reason it dents easily.  Just wanted to throw it out at you.  The better floors are "hard wood" all the way through, but you pay for them. Good luck with your project and post some pics on your page when you are done I love seeing remodeling work!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15