Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Can anyone identify this Honeywell Control?

Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
HI.

I have a customer who has an old carlin 100crd oil burner. Mounted by the primary control looks to me like a stack relay. it is a Honeywell control, but could not find any markings on it. First of all can someone identify the control. Second, I've never seen such a set up. I would assume if someone "Jimmied" a Limit control in place of a Primary, the Cad cell safety is not doing its job (cad cell is  physically existant-I checked).

Thanks

Joe 

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    control

that is an R8182H. Common long capillary safety/aquastat back in the day. Especially on that old V-1 Burnham. The J control was the same, just cold start
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Control

This is one cool control. Not only it acts as a boiler aqua-stat, but stops circulator when temperature in the boiler drops below set point to prevent condensation.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Operating set point

As long as you don't set the operating/low limit to as low as you can go. It will condense with the best of the cold start controls.
  • billtwocase
    not a problem Ice

they always ran a good 20 degrees higher due to the long capillary
  • icesailor
    Understatements:

That's one of the true understatements in the heating trade.

It was right scary seeing the Tridicator pegged at 260+ degrees, the PRV leaking steam and the Pressure showing 30# so you know that the fill valves isn't filling.

I'll turn this bomb off at the remote safety switch, the one in the same room and I'll be back later when things cool down. There was a "Top Of The Line" Repco oil boiler that was just a gas boiler set on top of a box with some refractory in it with a dragon blowing his breath into the box. A 4 section was junk and they put the sensor into the tankless. I think it was on the side, maybe in the front. They overheated to scary levels. But if you got a 5 section or greater, they had such bad circulation in them that the back would be steaming and the system water was flowing through just the front section. No place in the back to get a circulation line. That's when I switched to Weil-McLain #66/68 "A" blocks only because they had a tapping in the back bottom so you could get really good circular flow through the block. They ended that practice with the WGO series unless you got a Steamer and that was counterproductive.

I saw a photo of one here recently and had a panic attack just seeing and thinking about them. New Yorker AP's were just as bad. They all made poor boat mud moorings.
  • billtwocase
    Test the water

I have seen gauges that were also off a lot. Make sure you troubleshoot them both
  • icesailor
    Overheating:

Uhmm, that's usually the sign of a bad control. Be sure to put that silver gooy goop in the well. When you next try to get it out, you will break the tube. Then, you need a new control AND a new well. You get them at the supply house. They always have lots of the ones that don't fit. And never the one you need that fits.

The Honeywell 7000 series microprocessor/electronic is a really good and accurate one to replace with. It fits any application. It just has a serious problem with tankless only applications. Because of the self test diagnosing feature, the water gets cold by the time the burner finally comes on. Much like those On-Demand water heaters.

Why storage tanks are so nice. Instant availability of hot water.

Efficiency? I brought that up with my wife years ago when the shower got cold and she couldn't get the soap out of her hair. In went a storage tank. I've never brought THAT up again. The blowback was INTENSE!! Just not worth whatever savings there might have been.
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    electrodes

Just a side note , those Carlin burn like to have good electrodes on them, other wise you'll  see intermittent  ignition problems.

A.J.
  • A.J.
    A.J. Member Posts: 257
    electrodes

Just a side note , those Carlin burn like to have good electrodes on them, other wise you'll  see intermittent  ignition problems.

A.J.