Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Donley Bros. Co. Vented ash clean out

Gordy
Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
Anyone ever come across this style?

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Donley Bros:

Donley Bros/E.F. Donley was a company in the Midwest that manufactured cast iron implements for fireplaces and chimneys. They also wrote a book that is sort of a bible for fireplace builders and brick masons. They made all sorts of specialty items for the brick and fireplace industry. Especially fireplace dampers for old fireplaces that needed to be updated with dampers. They were driven out of business with modernization and removal of US tariffs. Any formerly popular Donley product like "Tip & Slide" dampers is now cast in China or India and shipped for sale in the USA.

What you show is a cast iron outside fire pit/barbecue set with the grates and ash dump. The photo looks like it is a rather new installation. If the door has "Donley" cast on it, it is probably a recent overseas product that is a direct casting from an original Donley casting. After the Patents ran out, and the company was defunct, they are using the brand as a selling point.
  • Gordy

This is my house, and those are original. Donley was in clevland Ohio. I rebuilt the outside one this year. Re do on the fire brick, pointing etc.

One door in the bottom of the outside one the damper wont slide shut. Im sure these doors were on coal fired heating equipment. Id liked to find one to replace it not a huge deal just would finish off my rehab nicely.

Dont make stuff like they use to.
  • icesailor
    Doneley Doors:

Gordy,

Are the slides still in place on the bottom door but just won't slide? If so, and they are just stuck, try liberal applications of Kroil, Let set for days and then, try the Heat Wrench. Tap them gently and once you get them moving, you're good to go. Donley Bros/EF Donley made a lot of cast iron fixtures. Those look like a matched set. They are all the same width.

You must be one crafty fellow. Really fine brick work. You must be one of those Multi-Talented guys.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    Donley parts on e-bay

search other online sites, Craigslist, etc
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    Tried the PB blaster

To much area sliding on each other, and to aggressive of a tap.

I've searched for same style with no luck all over the net Hot Rod. Was hoping maybe someone gutted an old coal boiler with similar doors that they just happend to keep.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    maybe contact

that seller in Ohio. Looks like he speaks your language? Perhaps he has connections to the old Donley company. Keep working the www.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Gordy
    edited June 2014
    The real craftsman

Was Maynard Thorpe. RIP deadman for the Stone Masons. Just trying to preserve the beauty he created.

Looking at the eBay prices it may not be that big a deal....I'm kinda anal maybe to much.
  • icesailor
    edited June 2014
    Kroil:

Gordy,

Try Kroil. PB blaster is like kissing your mother in law. You buy it direct. You can't buy it in a store. They only sell to professionals. I know someone that does Marine repair. He always carried two cans in his trucks. The second one was for a spare in case he ran out with one, or he lost a can. I always carried two or three cans. One just the liquid.

When you use the heat wrench, and get it toasty, spray it with Kroil to cool it. Repeat. It has a lot of Wintergreen oil in it. I've always said that if you took every known rust remover and mixed them together, it still wouldn't equal Kroil.

http://www.kanolabs.com/
  • Gordy
    Closest thing I found on the net

https://www.flickr.com/photos/83792365@N00/437986948

To what I have just a pick, and they are different size. I'll try the kroil ice.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    why a ventilated cleanout door?

Would one of you please explain why you would want a ventilated cleanout door? Specifically, what is your application? Indoor or outdoor fireplace? What do you think it does for you? 
  • Gordy
    edited June 2014
    BBQ

Bob the two fireplaces are fireplace/BBQ. The vented clean out doors allow you to control the coals ......somewhat. Suppose the same principle in a coal fired boiler/ furnace.

I actually made a lid by cutting a 31 gal galvanized trash can in half to do beer butt chicken , and rotisserie cooking in the fireplace and contain the heat. The can half fits perfectly. A little high heat spray paint and I'm off to the races.
  • icesailor
    edited June 2014
    Did you not check the link:

Gordy,

Did you not check the link I posted where you buy it directly from www.kanolabs.com? They always have special deals. Like they are now.

www.kanolabs.com

FWIW, I just use the plain old vanilla stuff. You can ask them if you call the 800 number.
  • Gordy
    Shes Free

I actually talked to a Mechanic friend who had some......No more kissing the mother in law Ice. Thats the Shist.
  • icesailor
    MIL's

I know how that is. I'm the Father In Law, my wife is the Mother In Law. Everyone older has passed. I still prefer kissing the wife (50+ years) than her nasty old mother, And she agrees.

Once you try the Kroil, you'll be getting a can. There really is no equal. Teamed up with a heat wrench, its an unbeatable combination.