Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dryer vent question

TonyS
TonyS Member Posts: 849
I recently was ask to repair a dryer vent in a large home. Unfortunately the dryer is set in a centrally located room 35 feet from the outside wall. Right now the dryer vent goes up to a lint box on the wall behind it and then drops down into the finished basement where it runs over 30 feet tucked up against the bottom of the joist, then it jumps up between the last joist and the outside wall for a couple of feet and terminates through a dryer outlet.

It is installed with 2 ft sections of aluminum duct and taped together, the connector and termination are spiral wound vent pipe taped to the hard pipe.

Of course this thing leaks and you can follow the tape as it gets thicker and thicker at every leak.

Any suggestion? I was thinking sch 40 pvc with a drip leg but code wont allow.

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,559
    Booster

Tony,

I am thinking you need a booster fan. You could repipe with longer sections of pipe to reduce drag. I think code allows 35 equivalent feet unless the dryer is rated higher. It sounds like you have much more than that. Another factor that can come into play is the exterior termination.Some low profile models actually reduce the vent size creating more drag.

I put in one of these a while back and it worked like a charm http://www.amazon.com/Fantech-DBF-Dryer-Booster-Duct/dp/B000GXF7KO

Best luck

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Fantec's

Fantec's are good units.

Replace all the 4" hard ducting. No screws. Use the heavy wall flex aluminum duct. NOT the wire wound aluminized plastic. Use regular pre-made fittings. NO SCREWS!!!. Put the Fantec where suggested. You won't have anymore problems.

Use the aluminum tape to seal and hold the joints together.

DON'T use PVC pipe & Fittings.