Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flue liner question

Soilidventur
Soilidventur Member Posts: 7
i'm a homeowner new to this board. I've got a steam heat system with a 9yo Weil MClain Gold Series 3 114k BTU boiler currently on #2 fuel oil. My chimney has a cracked flue that needs to be relined (per the chimney sweep). I may convert the burner to gas and my question is can I install a liner that handles exhaust from either the oil burner or a new gas burner? Does A1 20-4C stainless steel handle both? Is there a better or more cost effective lining material?

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    A stainless steel

liner is good for both gas and oil. What are your plans as far as a conversion burner? What is your location?
  • Soilidventur
    Soilidventur Member Posts: 7
    Flue liner/gas coversion

Thanks for your response. I'm in Boston, looking at Carlin EZ Gas Pro or a Riello 40 GSD Series. Some threads mention problems with the gas conversion (warranty void on the boiler, cheap components and more gun maintenance, loud noise level, different size chambers) so I'm still investigating.

Last season we burned 471 gal of oil, the equivalent therms of gas is 625-635 so the savings is significant.

Any special considerations for a steam system that I should keep in mind?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    edited May 2014
    Somewhat noisy

I'm south of Boston and had a Smith G8 (no longer being made) installed in 2012 with the EZ-Gas instead of an oil burner. My boiler is the smallest in that line and does have a rumble to it. I was able to down fire it and tame the rumble somewhat; the boiler is rated for a lot more steam than my system needs.

I have used it since October of 2012 without any issues.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge