Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New water heater

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,405
New customer called me to install a new water heater. Have anyone seen this old Lenex unit. Customer said they called it a some kind of complete,. Where the Lenex was doing heating with a wet coil inside of it . Any thoughts on how I should replace it.

Maybe Phoenix by htp

Or a

Navin Ncb ?

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Boiler

Pic
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Thats a Complete Heat System

Looks like an HM30, strap in and hold on, lol they are trash...

The heating module works like a boiler and the furnace is like a first company hydro air unit...

I replaced a bunch of them in a few condo/townhouse complexes.. They are trouble and expensive to repair, I believe Lennox settled a big class action because of them...

Anyway, you have a few options, replace the unit with a gas boiler and water heater, then use the water coil module just like you would a first co unit, or you can install a new 90+ furnace and a water heater, ect...

I have done it many ways, the hydro coils aren't great so I try to talk people into completely ripping out the lennox stuff and going with either a new furnace and water heater or new first co boiler and water heater, you can obviously do the furnace and water heater cheaper than a boiler, first co, and water heater...

I personally would try to sell them a nice Armstrong 97mv with a Rinnai RU series tankless, simple efficient, and you should be able to get it all done in less than a day... You get a lot of upsells too, like uv lights, steam humidifiers, air filters, ect... Plus depending on your local' there will be a few rebates for them, variable speed ecm, mod con 90+, condensing tankless, programmables, ect.. That would be over $1000 in rebates around here..
  • Snowmelt
    Thanks

I see you don't like navian products at all?

The problem is there's nowhere to vent both water tank and a new furnace.

What about just replace it with a vertex 100 power vent.
  • heatpro02920
    The vertex is going to cost as much

as an inexpensive gas boiler {williamson} and its not a boiler its a water heater. Is their hydro air unit still in good working shape, I would check the coil, get the btu and temp ratings, do a heat loss, and install a small ci boiler, they have already fell for what I call the "brochure bs" once with the system they have, no reason to do it to them again with a navian, lol... I really don't like Navian, just personal preference from what I see and my experiences, I am sure there are units out there that will last 15 years, I have just yet to see one...

A ci boiler, with a 40 ga water heater {if they can afford a rinnai tankless that would be a plus} would do this customer well, the tank may only last 5 years but if you do the boiler rite {pri/sec} it should see 40 years with out much service..
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Lennox

I had one. It was a basket case. It went through two boards, two ignitors, two snap discs, one circulator on the coil unit and the coil leaked twice. Then the tank leaked into the combustion chamber. It lasted all of 9 years.

I now have a fully modulating (both fire and fan) York condensing furnace and a power vented gas hot water tank that is sidewall vented. I get plenty of comfort both summer and winter.
  • heatpro02920
    henry

Thats exactly the way most customers go, completely remove it put in a nice furnace with a capable gas dhw tank...

Lennox has some really good equipment out there, they make a 98% varimodcon furnace that is one of the nicest in the field, I have seen their 2 stage and other furnaces last a very long time with no service, most companies will have a hiccup here and there, that was one of theirs for sure..