Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe size to cast iron radiators

Kendo
Kendo Member Posts: 3
Hey everyone! I have a job that i looked at today and the cast iron radiators are piped in 1/2 pex. Its piped in series from one radiator to another. No venturi tees. Does anyone think this system will work? And if not what is the best way to pipe it? Thanks in advance. Kenny

Comments

• You don't need

venturi's on a series system.

It may work as long as the radiators on the 1/2" PEX loop are less than 15,000 BTU output (total).

Typically, the best way I like to pipe radiators is 2-pipe, indirect return.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    edited May 2014
    I am pretty....

sure that will not work right.

I looked at a similar system years ago and they were tring to do that w/ 3/4" pex....didn't work either.

I ended up installing a set of manifolds (s&r) w/ 6 ports (for 6 rads)  and ran 1" to the manifold. 1/2" pex to each rad. I set the new boiler up w/ a outdoor reset control and the system worked very well.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Will it work?

IMO, it will never work properly if it is as you describe. You can only run so many Gallons Per Hour of hot water through the radiators, the first radiator will get hot and the last one may never get hot. If it is piped as a series loop, like 3/4" copper baseboard. It was obviously installed by someone who had absolutely no understanding of how and why fluids travel through a hydronic system.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    In & Out:

Did you mean a two pipe reverse return?
  • Kendo
    Kendo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the input

Thanks for the input.  I figured i was going to have to repipe it.  Just wanted to make sure.  Thanks alot