Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

circulator noise

carolyne
carolyne Member Posts: 1
someone out here has to know the answer to my question that i have been asking for 2 yrs. now new heating system was installed and a humming sound is thru out the house. Circulator was moved further back which did help but we still have a hum sound. Is there a way to transfer sound to cement floor instead of it traveling up into the house? I did place cement blocks under the heating system but it did nothing. So now i'm thinking what if i get a rubber post approx. 3 feet tall and stick it under the circulator to the cement floor. But the system does get hot, would it melt? Would this work? Can someone help me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze thank you

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Humm:

One person's Humm is another person's silence. My wife gets in the car with a bottle of Diet Pepsi and I have to tell her to tighten the cap. The fizz is leaking out. She can't hear it but I can.

I switched from a Taco 007 and if I listened really carefully, I could tell when it was running. I switched the 007 to a Wilo ECM pump. I almost have to put my hand on the pump to tell it is running. You can try a different pump. You can have rubber vibration isolators installed at either side of the pump. That cost money.

I have a battery powered wall clock. I can hear it "tick" every second. The "Tick" is louder when the second hand is going from 30 seconds to 12. It gets so quiet from 12 to 6 that I can not hear it. As soon as it goes by 6, it becomes louder. How do I know? I hear it when I am trying to fall asleep.

You're not alone. Vibration isolators are your only solution.
  • Buster
    Buster Member Posts: 36
    More info

Can you tell us the name and model of the calculator and post a pic so we can see how it is installed.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,018
    out of balance?

something stuck inside the impeller, perhaps. It is usually more of a vibration noise, but could be something to check.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Alarm clocks ticking

Icesailor,

I've used this clock since 2005, it doesn't tick, ever.  The second hand moves continuously and smoothly like the old AC clocks used to, except its battery powered.  Face lights up dim amber for no alarm, dim green for alarm on.

http://www.4alarmclocks.com/seqxulbealcl.html

I swear by this clock so much I've been tempted to buy another as a spare.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    sounds like

a 007 with a bad cartridge
  • icesailor
    Clocks @ Noise:

Its not that kind of clock. Its one of those wall clocks that take a AA battery. My wife likes them. One has birds that sing. Different birds, every hour. Another has cats. They Meow every hour. If you shut off the noise, it still makes some sort of click every hour. I took the trash to the dumpster one day and saw a brand new wall clock. With no battery in it. I brought it home and that one is the worse. It Tock's so loud, that it would keep you up.

Its that kind of clock. Its so loud that if I had mounted it on the wall, the sound would have resonated through the steel studs like a drum. I bought a table fan. No more Tick-Tock. Just white noise.

I have a digital lighted alarm clock. It doesn't Tock.
    jonny88
  • mempho
    mempho Member Posts: 4
    Speed

No idea if this applies to you but one of the biggest problems I ran into when all these small circs -taco 00 , BG PL series and others came out ,was that on older systems where they had been using a 3 PC typical pump - think BG series 100- and were replaced with these pumps, was that the system hum and noise increased. My thinking is that the coupler on the old pumps worked almost like a harmonic dampner . Maybe even de -coupling a lot of vibration from the 1750 rpm system as opposed to the direct drive 3400 or higher pumps. I just know when the customer went back to his series 100 from the PL30 the noise went away. Just curious if others came to that conclusion or if it was just coincidence.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited October 2014
    I just swaped a series 100 hv for a pl30 the 30 is louder in general at the pump but no system noise. I think as you say higher rpm andotor dampened by coupler
  • bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    It could be velocity noise , that often sounds like a hum . Do you have any balancing valves that you could use to slow the water down a little ?
    bob
  • icesailor
    Take a 3/4" X 3/4" piece of wood, put it on the valve body of the circulator, and put your ear to the end of the wood. You can hear a whoosh if it is water and the hum if it is electrical.

I have extremely sensitive hearing. I can't remember any Taco circulator I couldn't hear running. It was always motor hum. Whenever I hear a Whoosh, it is from an oversized circulator on undersized piping.

I could hear water in a Wilo ECM circulator with a stethoscope on the lowest setting for flow and I could still hear it when it was pimping hard.
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited October 2014
    carolyne said:

someone out here has to know the answer to my question that i have been asking for 2 yrs. now new heating system was installed and a humming sound is thru out the house. Circulator was moved further back which did help but we still have a hum sound. Is there a way to transfer sound to cement floor instead of it traveling up into the house? I did place cement blocks under the heating system but it did nothing. So now i'm thinking what if i get a rubber post approx. 3 feet tall and stick it under the circulator to the cement floor. But the system does get hot, would it melt? Would this work? Can someone help me pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeze thank you

To directly answer the OP's question. Are you sure that all piping is isolated from framing members? that will amplifiy a small humm into a large one.

Yes the hummm could be velocity noise as mentioned from an improperly sized circulator on the large side.

What is the model of circulator, size?