Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rinnai TGWH info

bob eck
bob eck Member Posts: 930
Thinking of switching to installing Rinnai TGWH. The contractors that are installing these units are they good units and do they deliver the GPM that the manufacture claims these units will deliver what is their reialibility? What do you pay for these units models RL94i 199,000 BTU INPUT & RL75i 180,000 BTU INPUT models? What is installed price. You can email me at <a href="mailto:eckrobert@rcn.com">eckrobert@rcn.com</a> thanks .

Comments

• heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    No money talk, sorry

more important than the cost is the contractor, don't just go for the "cheap" guy, get the contractor that you are comfortable with. I install a lot of Rinnai units and they are very nice, reliable, make plenty of hot water for most houses, my house has 4 full bathrooms and we can run all of the showers with no issues.

I recommend the RL94 for most homes, easy install, reliable, very nice... For the people that like the best, the ru98 is nice too... Also I try to talk all my customers into installing High Sierra shower heads at the same time..

Where are you located, there may be a contractor on here that can help you out...
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Um...

I'm quite sure that Bob IS the contractor! Read the post again.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    Sorry it was late, lol

I just noticed that it was Bob...

I'll send you an email with some of my pricing info...

As far as selling the product goes...

Call Rinnai and get their service books and anything they can send you, they have decent literature available, I have been installing them for around 10 years with hundreds of them out there and service issues have not been an issue, as they approach 15 years old I imagine I am going to be repairing and replacing them more often

If you install them with unions and a strap board {this is a peice of 1x1 that I now install at the base of the units, it makes it easier to remove and replace the unit as well as mount it initially if you are by yourself, simply mount it at the height you want, level it and then install the unit against it} you can replace the unit in 15 minutes!!!

Besides the strap board I install I have learned a few other tricks over the years, like for recircs use a small bosch es8 tank {I have posted pics and drawings of this on HH}.

Try to sell the customer the High Sierra shower heads {you can buy them direct and make a couple bucks on the but more important is they will almost double the energy savings and I have never gotten a complaint about them, I use them and they are great, they never clog, super power, and use little water},

Also when doing new construction recommend they install double handle faucets vs the mono handle units, this will cut down on the cycling, I wouldn't mention this as much with retro's since it can scare customers thinking they need all new faucets, which is not the case, just more convenient to have the double handles...

For venting, use the ubinks stuff, follow the venting instructions, and you will never have an issue, if you sway from their designs you will regret it...

Push the controls with the sale, I installed an RU98i in my own home {I was going to keep 2 of them, but for showing them to customers I wanted them to see my 4300 sq ft home with 4 full baths could be satisfied by a single unit}, it has the es8 for recirc with a grundfoss pump, a control in the laundry room, one in the master bath and one in the kitchen as well as the one on the unit, they do a lot of stuff, like intercom, lock, tub fill, ect..

As far as condensing vs non, I tell people the rl is just as nice may need less service {yet to be seen since neither have given me problems}, and with the ru you save maybe 10% a year, with a unit that only costs $120 a year to operate anyway thats $12 a year, so is it worth it? Kind of goes by what the customer wants to do...

Anyway if you need any more info give me a call, I have tried takagi, and a couple other brands and I can say for the price, customer support, and overall product quality Rinnai is the brand... Takagi is in the middle, Navian is at the bottom and Rinnai and Nortiz are towards the top...
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Seen some reports of issues with the aluminum inner vent

Corrosion from condensate leading to failure. Has anyone experienced this first hand?