Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Circ Pump Flange 90 Degrees Off

VelvetFoot
VelvetFoot Member Posts: 48
I'm replacing a couple of Taco 007 pumps with EcoCirc Varios.  The new pump flange is 90 degrees off.  It looks like I can squeeze them in there but there'd be no room to take the head off without taking out the pump-thinking that's not a big issue, but not sure.  How easy is it to turn those flanges and is it worth the effort, especially if things don't work out. Best way?  Crank on flanges with wrench backing or heat up joint?  I got some Grunfoss flanges but turns out they're not the right height.  They do have isolation valves.  Thanks.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    sounds like....

either your old circ or your new one, has a rotated flange....I would get the proper circ for the application.
  • VelvetFoot
    EcoCirc

Want to stick with the EcoCirc.
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Rotate

The flanges are threaded, yes?

Use 2 pipe wrenches and take them off. Retape and or seal the threads,then thread them back on stopping in the position you desire. If you try to do this without taking it apart, you will likely end up with a leak.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    Sometimes....

the old flanges can be a bear to remove by unscrewing.

I use a sawzall make a slice from the outside to the threads. Get it as close as you can and then unscrew it. Piece of cake.
  • VelvetFoot
    Flanges are threaded

The flanges are threaded, and rust is involved.  :(

They're pretty well taped and maybe even doped up as well (not sure if that's a good sign or not.)

I'm trying to visualize the sawzall technique. Side to side, not up and down?
  • VelvetFoot
    Got Flanges

Well, I just got some Taco flanges and gaskets (who'd a thought they'd be so expensive and didn't come with the flanges) just in case.  Here's hoping I snap nothing off.
  • Eric_32
    Eric_32 Member Posts: 267
    You will want to....

you want to cut the flange so the cut is the same direction as the piping connected to the flange. Parallel to the piping.

Cut from the outside inwards to the threads. You could also use a hand grinder with a cut off wheel. Cut in the thinnest part of the flange, most likely right in the middle, between the two bolt holes.
  • VelvetFoot
    Thanks!

Thanks!
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Taped & Doped:

If the flanges are taped and doped, they should easily come off with two large water pump pliers. Or a couple of 18" pipe wrenches.

I don't know what is so special about your circulators of choice but most circulators (like Wilo) come as circulators with the flanges cast at 90 degrees.

Wilo also has flanges that rotate to any position and also use wide gaskets. You CAN"T use those POS red rubber ones that were phased out 50 years ago but some still try to use them. I switched to Wilo from Taco for that very reason.

I've been too tired for too long, replacing hard red rubber leaking gaskets that were the wrong gaskets.

Another trick not mentioned with the saw through the flange is that when you get really close to the threads, take a beater screw driver, back up the opposite side of the flange with a 10# mall, stick the beater screw driver in the saw kerf and beat it with a hammer. It will provide a little spread and make it easier to unscrew the old flange.
  • VelvetFoot
    My Taco seems to be the exception

The motor is pointing in the same direction as the flange.  Most others seem to be at right angles.  My goal is to preserve the nipple and avoid extra work.  My chances for that will diminish the more sawzalling, dremeling, pounding on a beater screwdriver that I do. Here's hoping for the goodness of tape and dope!

At least it's not cold out. :)
  • icesailor
    Circulator Flanges:

Taco, B&G and WILO are made with the flanges aligned with the centerline of the motor and at 90 degrees to the centerline. There are add on, aftermarket flanges that rotate for just that reason.
  • icesailor
    Exceptional Taco:

Your Taco isn't the exception, your B&G EcoCir Vario is the exception. It has a rotated flange, rotated from what is considered a standard flange.

You probably bought it on-line and the Internet Sales person is clueless about what they are selling. Here is a Taco 007 PDF. Your 007 model # should show "007 FS" for standard flange. If it had been bought with a FR designation, it would be the right way. Although B&G only shows their EcoCircs as right angle flanged, they must offer reversing flanges that go either way with the same flange set. The person who helped you doesn't know his product. They should have asked you about flange direction.

http://www.taco-hvac.com/uploads/FileLibrary/100-1.8.pdf
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Webstone

flanges come with gaskets (not to mention lots of configurations and cool options.)