Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Anyone familiar with "Heat Load Pro" software?

I just started reading Siegenthaler's book "Modern Hydronic Heating". In the chapter on heat loss, the author talks up his own heat loss software "Heat Load Pro". It's $99 to download, a fair price if it does the job. Has anyone here tried it? Is it effective for simple single family residential calcs? I've been using Slant Fin Heat Loss Explorer but want another software tool to cross-validate the data for my own home.

Comments

• Pughie1
    Pughie1 Member Posts: 135
    Heatloadpro

I've been using it for some time now & find it very easy to use & quite accurate. I have 3 different programs including Slant Fin's, which I find to be conservative in nature airing on the high side. It always comes in higher than John's Heat Load Pro program. John's even allows you to account for the different R value for studding & rafters. Also it has a very nice program for comparing various different fuels costs. I personally think it is well worth the investment. Excellent for residential use.

John Pughe
  • Pughie1
    Free download

I should have mentioned. If you go to John's website - hydronicpros.com you can download a free demo of his Hydronic Design Studio. If I'm not mistaken there is a short version of the heat loss program there.

John Pughe
  • Jean-David Beyer
    Jean-David Beyer Member Posts: 2,666
    I have the third edition of John Siegenthaler's big book.

It comes with a CD with a educational version of his programs. They are stripped down. They are good enough to practice with, for example doing the examples in the text. But several things may make you judge his professional programs too harshly.

1.) You cannot save your work (you can in the full version), so you have to do the whole thing at one sitting.

2.) I think you can do only two zones.

3.) I think you can have only one room per zone.

That was good enough for me (a homeowner), but it is pretty clear that a heating professional would want the complete version. From what I see of it, it is really good.
  • I purchased John's Heat Load Pro

I haven't downloaded it yet...there is a delay for them to verify credit card info, hopefull will be able to look at this evening.

Thanks for all the helpful comments. I'll post my impressions in a day or two.
  • Pughie1
    Siggy

Scott,

Glad to hear you purchased it, I think you are going to find it excellent. As I said I've been using it for some time and it hasn't let me down yet.Every job I figured worked like a charm - no issues. I think you would like his HD-2 program also, I live less than 1/2 hour from John, got to remind him about my commission - LOL

John Pughe
  • Robert_H
    Robert_H Member Posts: 141
    HD-2 question?

John, I tried the HD-2 demo and was disappointed that it the only radiation types were baseboard and radiant floor. I couldn't work around it either, like I couldn't modify a baseboard section  to simulate a radiator. etc.  I wonder if that is just a limitation of the demo. In the full version are other radiant emitters available?

Thanks

Robert
  • Pughie1
    Demo

R.H.

Yes the demo is very limited, it's been a while since i have looked at it. The actual Hydronic Design II has a great deal of options available.

John
  • PLUMMER
    PLUMMER Member Posts: 42
    MAC compatible

Do they work with Mac/apple?

I was just reading all options and details, wish there were more details and info.

Hydrocad?..

Hydrosym....

Heatloadpro....easy enough, found plenty of info on this one

Hydrodesignstudio, looks good but does it include anything from the others.?

Anyone using? Opinions? Thanks
  • Pughie1
    Compatable

I'm going to try to attach an E-Mail I recieved from John concerning your questions. If this is unseccessful you could reach him at his website.

John Pughe
  • Pughie1
    Not successful

Whops, I guess not. Sorry

John
  • PLUMMER
    PLUMMER Member Posts: 42
    Nope

I just received an email from John that these are windows only. I'd have to run parallels and a copy of XP on my Macs to do so. For those that also might be wondering. That's another $200 expense.so I'd be looking at $910 plus to run the system, and I still wouldn't be able to use it on site with an iPad.
  • Tom_133
    Tom_133 Member Posts: 883
    Conflicts

After reading this thread I see I cant get Heatload on an Ipad so I am willing to purchase a windows based tablet, like a surface pro 2. Anyone know if this will work properly? I already own an Ipad 3 and really want a tablet that can be mobile with me and run Heatload or similar program, any suggestions?
    Tom
    Montpelier Vt
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited April 2014
    You might be able to

run it on Cocoon https://getcocoon.com/ runs hosted Windows stuff in the cloud.

Edit:  No more of that, thank you.  Thank the MS legal team.
  • J Van Lund
    J Van Lund Member Posts: 19
    Scott's Comments on HeatPro Program

Hi Scott:  What were the results of HeatPro?  What Q for infiltration did you use - 8,000-10,000 BTU/h??  Total Q was what?  Did you use Delta T for the Bay area of 50F+/-? Thanks, John