Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

main line water filter

nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
I was thinking of installing a main line water filter.  What do you guys think, do these work, cause problems and what type would be ideal.  Thanks for input. 

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Water Filters:

Why do you think you need one?
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Yes, they work

They also cause problems.  I would recommend various types (or not) depending on the particular water conditions and use.

The short version is in the post above.
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,226
    Of course they work.

But you need to know what it is you want to filter out.

If you can't answer that, then somebody is going to sell you a placebo unit. Have your water tested and see what filter media best treats your water if you want one.

My opinion is you're far better off with a point-of-use filter for drinking and cooking if you're concerned about health issues. There's no point in filtering your toilet water.
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    My mother would disagree with the toilet water analogy

My parents have a well and for many many years they dealt with the iron in the water.  A number of years ago they added a simple whole house filter I believe it's a Whirpool.  Nothing fancy just something to take out some of the iron.  They have had their water tested by an independent lab and it's essentially perfect.  Now why does my mother want her toilet water filtered?  She used to have to scrub out the inside of the toilet tanks twice a year due to all the iron.  Admittedly she is a clean freak, but all the iron deposits can't be doing the plumbing system or toilet valves any good so she kept them clean.  Now the filter pretty much does it for her (only cleans them every 2 years now).  I agree with you test the water and make an intelligent decision, many independent labs will give you recommendations about what the possible solutions are to any problems.  I am lucky because we have a water test lab at my work!  I use a whole house charcoal filter to help with taste mainly.  I use a whole hose filter for convenience and I have children and don't really fell like having a point of use on all the bathrooms and kitchen.  We are all different so it's what works best for the individual, but again get the water tested by an independent lab that doesn't sell anything is key.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    debris

Another reason to filter toilet water is to keep chunks of iron,steel,rust,garbage out if your fill valves.  Early on I had problems with my fill valves seeping due to sediment / debris / junk getting stuck in them after messing with piping.  I'm almost positive right now if I went down and bump the galvanized supply line while a toilet was filling it could happen again.  I'm sure the same is true for solenoid valves in washing machines and dishwashers as well.

I've considered installing a sediment filter just for this, but it's only been a problem if I mess with things so I've left things alone for now.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • icesailor
    Filtered out:

In the world of water treatment, the problems you two describe is like putting Bacitracin on a scrape.

Real men have REAL water problems and treatment. Like going into the bathroom and thinking that someone forgot to flush the toilet (Hydrogen Sulphide),

The water is crystal clear when the tank and toilet are new but now, they are stained orange. But the water is still clear. You can scrub out the rust in the bowl but not the ring at the water line. And wherever the water sprays outside, you get an orange stain. On the lawn, house, bushes and lawn.

The shower head is totally clogged up with white scuzz and the water won't flow out. None of the above problems can be fixed with a whole house spin-on filter on the service line.

Mother complains that her backside is being is being sanded raw when she sits in the tub by fine sand. The faucet strainers are getting plugged by very fine sand.

THAT can be helped. But, if you have a well, it could be that the well location is in a low location and when it rains, water forced its way up the electrical conduit and water washes fine sand into the casing. Or, ants take up residence on top of the pull rope and wires. Occasionally, some lose their grip and fall down the well. To be sucked up by the pump and delivered to a glass near you. That can be addressed by a inline filter.

Find out what you want and need. Whatever you need to correct, once corrected, will cause another problem to surface.

Have your water tested first by a competent water testing laboratory.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,592
    Real man

Ice,

If that's what it takes to be a real man I'd rather not if it's all the same to you.  :)
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 90
    I added a sediment filter

A few years back we had moved into a new to us place with our first ever well water.  At first we just had a spout at the kitchen sink for drinking water.  This was because the tests done prior to closing indicated we had 5 time the amount of lead recommended.  The former owners had an under sink unit installed to alleviate that problem.

After a few months I noticed the kitchen sprayer was getting plugged up with minerals every month.  I put a whole house sediment filter just after the well tank and the sprayer issue went away.  Four months later I changed the filter, yikes was it cruddy with all sorts of nasty stuff.  For the minimal cost of the string filters I will continue to use this filter.  I can't imagine all the stuff not getting into our appliances and systems.

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    I've installed a lot of sediment filters over the years

and I continue to recommend them as long as the owners are willing to perform regular cartridge changes or pay us to do so.  There is far more rust and sand in most municipal water systems that most people realize.  HOWEVER -- if the owners are too cheap and/or lazy to change cartridges, it is a very bad idea.  Filter media grow very nice bacterial and fungal cultures over time.  Clear housings help a lot -- out of sight, out of mind.
  • icesailor
    Points?:

Maybe you missed the point? Real men don't blame imaginary people for leaving bad air behind. That "rotten egg" smell might be Hydrogen Sulfide gas. The seriousness of that bad air is very difficult to correct. Expensive too. Can also be dangerously explosive.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Sediment filters are fine, but...

make sure you put iso valves on both sides of it and a valve on the by-pass you install around it. What I've seen is that once installed the homeowner thinks it will last forever without any attention at all. then they cannot understand why you did something to their water supply when the filter is so packed up the pressure declines precipitously.

I was going to put one on our newly re-piped house, but until I convert the well pump to a constant pressure system I'm not going to do it. As it turns out, I haven't had sediment issues over the last six months withthe new system.
  • Condoman
    Condoman Member Posts: 90
    Google Calendar

Google calendar is how you remember to schedule the filter maintenance and for that fact any other recurring household items.  

Of course you have to actually remember to look at it.

It reminds me of work I was doing for a home owner that rented his condo out.  I got a call that the dryer was not drying the clothes very well. I knew it was electric and thought the vent was not working.  I asked the renter, an MD if they clean out the lint filter with each load of clothes that is dried?  Yes he answered.  When I arrived at the home the first thing I did was look at the lint filter.  It was at least one inch deep with lint and was the only thing impeding air flow.  I told the renter that was the problem and he said "exactly where is this filter". 

So, SWEI is correct that one needs to maintain the filter if it is to be of any use.

When I installed my sediment filter I spent the extra bucks to have shutoff's and bypass to make maintenance easy. The last change earlier this month I started my homeowners manual by documenting the steps with pictures and changing directions.  At least someone else can then do it if you cannot.